A&H

Reflections on the Season.

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Well, it's that time of year again. Time to hang up the boots for a couple of months and recover from all the niggles that inevitably develop as the season goes on.

I thought I'd start this thread to give everybody the opportunity to share their reflections on their own season, both good and bad, along with targets for next season. :)

From a personal perspective, I've enjoyed refereeing more than ever before this season. My club marks have been consistently high and I've genuinely looked forward to every single game. There's been some tough games, and I've had to give out more cards than ever before too, but I put that down to the majority of my matches being U15+. My personal highlight has to be running the line on a match involving Paul Scholes, it was a pleasure to watch despite the fact that I'm a City fan.:D

Another massive positive is that I don't recall losing control of any of my matches, there's been some close calls, but I've always managed to keep a lid on potential trouble. Match control is something that I've tended to struggle with in the past. I think it's mostly due to the fact that I've grown more confident in talking to players and managing situations before they get out of hand. A real positive.

There are of course areas for improvement, and I think my positioning still needs some work but I'm sure that will continue to improve.

I'm hoping to start reffing OA football at the start of next season, at 21 I feel the time is right.

All in all, a really enjoyable season and although I'm disappointed to have ended it without a cup final, I can take a lot more positives than negative from it.

The Referee Store
Well this season was my first season refereeing and I really enjoyed it! At the same time as reffing, I was also a player for my local Sunday league team and as the season went on I started to lose interest in playing football and gained more interest in refereeing! I only managed to ref 6 games last season due to me playing nearly every week but I enjoyed it so much!

I think I've developed, even thought it has only been 6 matches! My first game, I was really nervous but now I walk on to the pitch with pride! :) I can't wait till next season and I need to work on my positioning too!

This season upcoming, I'm going to try get a cup final final, get my 7 - 6 promotion and develop as a ref all round! :D

I'm really glad you had a good season too! I hope that you have fun with the OA football and good luck too ;) Good luck in the 2014/15 season! :):):)

I'm i the same boat as Aaron.

My first season as a ref. I also played as well but have packed that in which was hard as my dad is the manager but it was the right decision. I have had some troublesome matches leading to misconduct reports for a manager. Refereed in over 40 matches and have gained so much experience.

My highlights being a day at Bramall lane for Sheffield United Academy v Manchester United Academy. An U14 cup final on the line, meeting Mark Clattenburg, Darren England and Martin Atkinson. Having Ian Blanchard promise to come and watch me ref a match next season.

Next season I am going to try and ref some more matches, hopefully get another cup final, get on the referee development program in hull, get a tutor/mentor to help me develop. Referee some more matches for the SUFCA and the hull city academy.

I've been very busy this season, doing plenty of games and also hopefully get promotion which I will find out around Wednesday (I'll let you know as soon as I know).

This was my first season of OA football with lots of ups and downs along the way, oh and lots of cautions as well :(.

This season has been an eye opener to how hard OA is and how diffferent games require different approaches to how they should be refereed, it has also helped to learn when a caution is required, when a RC is required and also when a quiet word will suffice.

The highlight from my season was today, getting to be AR down the Liberty Stadium today on an U14 local cup final. Amazing experience and an amazing place.

Things are looking up now, tipped to go onto the FAW development scheme next season which will give me like a fastpass to Welsh Premier hopefully.

Now just my fitness to work on to get it to top quality for when the season starts and then see what lies ahead.

Done a nice mix of lines and middles across youth and OA, from bottom of the table pub league to games involving ex-pros and supply league reserve games.

Enjoying OA far more than youth, find it easier! Communication is easier, you can manage a game through personality which gains respect. Players understand the game and appreciate being talked to, something I often find difficult in youth football. I think this is reflected in my car count, averaging a caution every 2 games and only 1 red all season.

It would be difficult to pinpoint the highlights of the season but I would say:

Premier League U12 finals at St Georges Park- Chosen as one of 4 referees from my county to attend.

Running the line for Neil Swarbrick- nothing more needs saying!

Running the line on a supple league local derby- 300 supporters in a small ground, brilliant atmosphere.

Refereeing Football Aid at Turf Moor- incredible feeling to lead two teams out at what is now a PL ground.

Finally, joining my counties young potentials group, receiving coaching from a NL referee and assistant, ultimately leading to my level 6.

Next season, develop fitness and positioning and get my level 5!

Nice work guys.

Been a season of many firsts for me. First welsh league involvement and first faw ladies prem involvement - given me a taste for it and I want more of that next season! It's been a promotion season and I hope I have done enough to secure my 3b. Much like aled I find out next week hopefully. For those wondering about whether or not to go for promotion, I would say that my experience of it is that it has made me a far better referee. I crept through doing just enough to gain promotion last season, but took on board the advice offered and have had a much easier ride this season. Fitter, faster, quicker thinking, better attitude. The better the level of games you referee, the better you get.

I would add here that while I talk above about the benefits of pushing for promotion, I know other referees who have no intention of ever applying for promotion and enjoy their refereeing right where they are. Nothing wrong with that, enjoying it is essential and if that is your bag, more power to you.

Couple of things I have learnt this season:

1) you can never be too fit! The fitter you are, the better. Both in terms of mental fitness and physical fitness.

2) refereeing wisdom can come from anywhere. Keep your eyes and ears open.

3) there is very little point trying to teach players/coaches or spectators the laws of the game. Just give your decisions with confidence and smile broadly when your explanation of your decision more than likely falls on deaf ears! You know your right. Probably. Even if you are indeed wrong.

Goals for next season, if I am promoted this season apply for promotion again next season. If I don't get promotion this season, still apply for promotion next season! Just wish I had started refereeing when I quit playing through injury in my mid 20s. :)

Back