A&H

Refsix - is it worth it?

Apple Watch is good - it will still be affected by the rain but you can wipe the screen on shirt and it will be fine when you need to use it.

The Referee Store
I found the apple watch pretty poor in the rain. It keeps thinking you're touching the screen when you're not.

I have found that putting a large sweatband over the watch largely cures this problem, but I always have a cheap casio on the other wrist in case.

I found the apple watch pretty poor in the rain. It keeps thinking you're touching the screen when you're not.

I have found that putting a large sweatband over the watch largely cures this problem, but I always have a cheap casio on the other wrist in case.
Snap for the Casio. I always have that as my second, but also have another for very wet days.

Bought a sweatband this morning! 👍🏻

I think Refsix is great. I have a pretty basic garmin watch and use it for timers which is superb. You can also alter the watch face to your preference which is good. I use it to record goals and that’s about it. If I had a better watch that was more friendly with the app I’d definitely try a full match record on it. Tried it once in a friendly but was too fiddly I found with the buttons. For the amount I ref it’s not worth me shelling out on a ‘better’ watch.

Also it’s good for recording fees etc so you can always check the app for last time how much you charged etc.

Heatmaps are cool but as said above without match footage it’s not really much to go on. Distance run is good but aware it’s not 100% accurate as Garmins are set up to record ‘straight line’ running.

I use the free version, worth every penny!

Really like using refsix for the cards, have input custom offence codes for the 17 yellow and 6 red codes we have to use for our leagues, makes match reports so much easier. Also alerts you if you have given a second yellow to same player which is a good safety net.

Like others have found, rain affects my apple watch, can be a bit annoying but not a deal breaker.

Finally, the additional timer feature is coming in very useful this season so far to make sure adding enough additional time given the expectation now (for those not familiar, you single tap the screen and it starts a sub timer separate to the main match time, single tap to stop. So keep doing that for goal celebrations, injuries etc and you get a good separate running total of time to add on).

reg Apple Watch & refsix
Does anyone know whether I can deactivate the wrist down function and have the display always on the refsix app?
cheers

reg Apple Watch & refsix
Does anyone know whether I can deactivate the wrist down function and have the display always on the refsix app?
cheers
Yes you can, through the Settings menu on the watch itself. Go into Display & Brightness and you should have an always on setting.
However, the times I've used this feature it seems as though the app still registers the watch deactivating when I put my wrist down. This means when I raise my wrist again to look at the time it takes a few seconds for the timers to update. Might be a quirk with my settings, but something to be aware of, it can be quite embarrassing when you're asked how longs left in the game, look at your watch and reply "about 15" only for it then to update and there's only 7 minutes left!

Yes you can, through the Settings menu on the watch itself. Go into Display & Brightness and you should have an always on setting.
However, the times I've used this feature it seems as though the app still registers the watch deactivating when I put my wrist down. This means when I raise my wrist again to look at the time it takes a few seconds for the timers to update. Might be a quirk with my settings, but something to be aware of, it can be quite embarrassing when you're asked how longs left in the game, look at your watch and reply "about 15" only for it then to update and there's only 7 minutes left!
Hey, Thanks for the tipp. I have used it in a match for the first time now and I am quite disappointed. Have to say that it was a bit of a hectic match, but I tested a bit and the "wrist down" function is pretty annoying as it feels like ages to me for the display to unblurr the watch face. I love the fitness functions like the heatmap etc but during the match, the basic thing - to have the watch display always visible and up-to-date" is not there. :-( The most annoying thing is that Apple obviously deactivates the wrist down function for some apps (Apple Workout, Nike Running Club) , but not for refsix. :-(((

Hey, Thanks for the tipp. I have used it in a match for the first time now and I am quite disappointed. Have to say that it was a bit of a hectic match, but I tested a bit and the "wrist down" function is pretty annoying as it feels like ages to me for the display to unblurr the watch face. I love the fitness functions like the heatmap etc but during the match, the basic thing - to have the watch display always visible and up-to-date" is not there. :-( The most annoying thing is that Apple obviously deactivates the wrist down function for some apps (Apple Workout, Nike Running Club) , but not for refsix. :-(((
My Apple Watch doesn’t have this RefSix issue at all. the wrist down function doesn’t cause an issue, I get an instant screen on & exact time on the screen with no delay. Sorry for you challenges.

My Apple Watch doesn’t have this RefSix issue at all. the wrist down function doesn’t cause an issue, I get an instant screen on & exact time on the screen with no delay. Sorry for you challenges.
Can I ask which Apple Watch with which WatchOS you are using? Cheers

Go to General > Return to Clock, then choose when you want your Apple Watch to return to the clock face: Always, After 2 minutes, or After 1 hour. You can even set this individually for each app. I don't use Refsix, but What's the Score, Bro? I find that much better during a match.

Hi TeeLz,
unfortunately that is not the functionality I am talking about. Ich double checked it with Apple. It is not possible for non-Apple Watch Apps to have this feature they say. Workouts is an Apple App and stays on the display others cannot prioritise their watch face.
I am female and neither male or female players call me "bro" so the name of the other app is not that clever. 😉

My wrist down feature is turned off

How to manage the information that appears when your wrist is down
  1. Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
  2. Tap Display & Brightness.
  3. Scroll down, then tap Always On.

Yes, there are two different "wrist down"s First one, which you are talking about, that switches off the whole display and the second one you cannot deactivate. That happens when you wrist down whilest an app is in some kind of "session" and it blurres out the app and shows a digital simple watch face in front of the blurry background.
This does not happen whilest an apple app is running for example "workouts".

Back