A&H

Junior/Youth "Removing" a manager

ELP

Everyone's Favourite Member
Okay, quick question, what would be the correct procedure for sending off a manager of a youth team?

I have U14s tomorrow and I had them last year at U13 level. I had to send a misconduct report in about the manager after some vile language throughout the match, and I am anticipating a repeat tomorrow when he sees me. A few referees I know personally have had run-ins with the guy too but are a little less experienced and thus a bit scared of sending in reports - not a position I'd take myself but I won't force them to send reports in if they don't want to.

Anyhow, the game is a 2pm kick-off tomorrow so I haven't got long to get some advice. Of course, I will try all the usual stuff of having a chat before the game and trying my utmost to keep things cool, but if things blow over then I will need to know correct procedure.

Where do I stand? When sending him off, should I first ask if there is somebody else present (another coach, or even opposition coach) who would be willing to provide medical care to a player if needs be? Would I be within my rights to tell the manager to leave the pitch vicinity, or would I only be able to expel him to the parents area behind the respect line? Or would I be looking at a straight-up match abandonment?

Thanks.

The Referee Store
Hi Evan,

You are well within your rights to dismiss the manager from the technical area for offensive, insulting and abusive language. Will the manager be on his own or will he have a meic with him? If he is the only person and you have do dismiss him tell him that if he had a medic then he would be walking, however player safety is your top priority and that you will be sending in a misconduct report .

I wouldn't be looking to abandon the game because of the manager unless he posed a threat to your or the players safety.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Right if he has a physio for the team already then you can dismiss the manager if so needed and he must go to car park where he cannot abuse you

Evan

If you have to send the manager off, then he has to go from the vicinity of the field of play. You don't want him anywhere that he can still view play and (probably) continue his abuse.

My feeling regarding the argument that he is the only one providing medical/physio cover for the team probably depends on a number of factors.
Firstly, is it just a try-on? If there's another adult in a club track-suit or clearly helping (involved in the warm up etc) then surely he/she can take over?

If he really is the only one providing medical cover, then perhaps he gets one more warning than you might normally give, but he HAS to be told that further abuse will result in an abandonment. If this guy is a genuine problem, we have to be able to issue sanctions. If he continues than you'll have to abandon the game and make sure your report emphasises he was the cause.

I understand other people's reluctance to abandon the game. However, if we're not careful, he will use the medic/physio argument as a permanent shield to continue his abuse of officials.

As others have said, if you send a manager of he/she must leave the vicinity of the playing area and move to a place where they can't continue to abuse you (car park etc.).

As for the medical argument, it's highly likely that somebody else on the touchline will be medically trained, possibly one of the opposition coaches. As much as that would be a consideration, don't get too hung up on it if any problems arise.

One other bit of advice, don't go into the game with any preconceptions. Even though that may be difficult, it's highly likely that the game will pass without incident. Don't expect problems, but be prepared to deal with them if they arise.

Good luck and enjoy the game! :)

New game, fresh start.

However, if he cannot behave and he is the team official and the medic then tough luck for them. If he deserves to walk and will not be talked into calming down and he says "I am the team first aider, you can't send me away from the vicintinty of the pitch" it's a swift response of one more peep out of you for the next (however many) minutes and the you will be sent away from the vicinity of the pitch and this will cause the match to be abandoned. If he cooperates then good, if not away you go.

Note it all down in your note book. Report it all regardless on a misconduct form and send a copy to the relevant person at the league.

Back