A&H

Richard Clarke gets it right, eventually.

yes, kieran, although we don't know if he realised or not....not showing the red card immediately after the yellow would suggest not...so, as the donny manager suggested, he may not have shown it had he known but simply hurried the player of the pitch, possibly by warning him that he was risking a second caution if he didn't get off the pitch sharpish

Yes, I understand that. From the opening post: 'On leaving the field, NC12 took the circuitous route and not a beeline for the sideline and the ref walked alongside to have a word' So the referee had already warned the player if we presume that's what he was doing when he 'had a word'.

The Referee Store
The 4th official had to remind him that he had all ready booked the player. Do you seriously think that if he remembered he would have either cautioned him before the player left the FOP and stopped the other player entering or let it go and nothing would of been said.

Notts County were time wasting all game, it was the tactic we were playing. The referee knew this obviously and the player taking an age for the sub was clearly the final straw. Maybe if he'd have remembered, maybe he wouldn't have cautioned. But in the context of the game the player probably deserved the 2nd yellow. The caution should have come earlier and it would have saved a lot of confusion at the time.

pure supposition, jacko....you seem to be suggesting that no decent referee would have issued the second caution knowingly....which has to be wrong (more supposition, of course)

keith hackett has apparently said that doncaster should have had a penalty because he took more than 30 seconds to leave the pitch

keith hackett has apparently said that doncaster should have had a penalty because he took more than 30 seconds to leave the pitch

I don't know whether this is a joke or not as it's quite believable given hackett's recent interpretations

pure supposition, jacko....you seem to be suggesting that no decent referee would have issued the second caution knowingly....which has to be wrong (more supposition, of course)

I didn't say decent, I have only said if the referee was aware the player was on a caution he would have managed it different.

I didn't say decent, I have only said if the referee was aware the player was on a caution my guess based on my own opinion would be he would have managed it different.
fixed that for you. You only know for certain what you would do. Anyone else's behaviour, you are making an educated guess. :)

Let's be honest the ref has forgotten he'd given the first yellow. It's one of those cards you give to prove a point, in this case the player is all but off the field so he's given it as he's annoyed. If he'd remembered it was a second yellow he wouldn't give it.

As I was there at the Keepmoat on Tuesday night with a view across the pitch to the dugouts there was a couple of things I observed.
  1. Notts County deliberately slowed down the game at every opportunity. And I mean every opportunity.
    • In the first 5 minutes, we had about 2 minutes play as Roy Carroll complained twice about the ball(s) being flat/deflated (watching too much NFL?)
    • Every throw in was a walk to the sideline, pick up the ball, put it down for someone else to take, pick up ball, put it down, pull up socks, adjust shinpads, pick up ball, feign to throw one direction, edge forward, retreat, and finally restart (or so it seemed :()
    • Free kicks were placed by one player who then walks away for a player further away to come over and take. Walking not running.
    • It usually took a few seconds to realise they had corners and for the taker to wander over.
    • Argue over the exact position of free kicks awarded to either side.
(I agree these are all legit methods and tactically a way of slowing down the game but when it's employed en bloc it tested the patience of everyone, Richard Clarke included.)

At one point, Richard Clarke had clearly had enough and was as frustrated as anyone with their tactics. NC were awarded a throw in which their full back took from a position not too far away from the place where the ball left the FOP. Clarke was indicating the place where to take the throw which the player ignored. (From my viewpoint, it looked a matter of a few feet and the ref's pedantry was due to frustration). Clarke blew straight away, called a foul throw and awarded to Donny who took milliseconds to get play restarted.

It could be argued NC12 (Kwame Thomas) was lucky to be on the pitch anyway. His original caution came after he fouled Paul Keegan in midfield. It was his third or fourth offence and I viewed it as reckless and sensed a caution for the tackle alone. Thomas then kicked the ball away to prevent Rovers taking the FK quickly. The yellow was shown but I'm not sure for what and there are advocates on this forum who'd have brandished the three-card trick in this case.

IMO Richard Clarke got it right but he took a bit too long to sort the events out. I applaud him for them correct decision and the right course of action but I'm sure some things could have been smoother.

Back