A&H

Roma V Liverpool

The Referee Store
Not enough for me Sheffiels Finest, I think V. Dijks shirt is also pulled in that situation.
What about the yellow on Lovren (43'). If he didn't foul him, would it not have been a goalscoring opportunity? El Shaarawy had a good touch which put the ball quite centraly. Thoughts?

DOGSO against Alexander-Arnold? Definitely getting the rub of the green tonight

Glad that didn’t affect the outcome because I couldn’t put up with another 30 minutes of that drival. Madrid will be lapping it up!

Alexander Arnold’s arms were in natural positioning for a block. Never deliberate!

You'll struggle to see a more wrong handball penalty than that. Short of chopping off his own arm I just don't see what Klavan could have done.

Not obvious enough to be DOGSOs for me.

Reactions: one
The handball pens were the wrong way round.
Klavan is arms down, by his side, and the ball bounces up off his thigh from less than 2m away. This does not fulfil any of the handball criteria. It's not handball.
TAA is jumping to block a shot, making himself big, arms up to make himself bigger, doing everything he can to block a shot... it's goal bound, it's handball, it should be a pen and RC.
Stamp on Salah should have been a pen.
Ref missed two other stamps that warranted YCs.
The early two handed push on Mane was also a penalty offence. Ref poorly positioned though, needed the AR.
Lovren's mistimed jump and dive/handball could also have seen him concede a pen, though he won a free kick.

...the idea that Roma were robbed is nonsense. If anything it seemed to me the Liverpool had better claims for more penalties!

The Dzeko offside-pen looked like a very marginal decision. I would rather have seen the close offsides in this game for both teams called "level" but I go with the decisions. The ARs did good.

On the football. Roma started well. TAA and Lovren both made very errors letting high balls over their heads at the back stick. Ronaldo will crucify them if they do that. Liverpool really missed driving runs from midfield. Pity that Wijd didn't finish the one time I remember him arriving late in the box. Karius should have done much better to palm the shot away at the first goal. Liverpool were average but they could afford to be at 7-3 up...

Trent AA had his arms way outstretched, clearly blocked a goal-bound shot, pen and red for me all day.

The offside decision was a miss. The TAA PK and red decision was a miss. Both were understandable misses that many will argue are apart of football. If that is your opinion, then you need to understand that if VAR existed in the CL this season, that this could very easily be a Bayern v Roma final. VAR is coming. VAR at the World Cup could be a disaster and set it back a season or two, but if it's even remotely successful, I foresee every referee miss next season in the CL and PL being followed by "why did they elect to not have VAR this season?"

Last edited:
The offside decision was a miss. The TAA PK and red decision was a miss. Both were understandable misses that many will argue are apart of football. If that is your opinion, then you need to understand that if VAR existed in the CL this season, that this could very easily be a Bayern v Roma final. VAR is coming. VAR at the World Cup could be a disaster and set it back a season or two, but if it's even remotely successful, I foresee every referee miss next season in the CL and PL being followed by "why did they elect to not have VAR this season?"
Conveniently not mentioning the stamp on Salah penalty and the push on Mane penalty that were both misses... ;) You should be a politician!

Can you tell me in which minututes of the game these two offenses took place?
I don't recall a stamp on Salah from last night (possibly an offence in the first game?) but the Mané penalty claim was in the 8th minute (7m 42s to be precise). On the coverage I was watching, there weren't any replays of it till about 5 minutes later but it looked a pretty clear penalty call. They also showed it again during the half-time analysis.

I don't recall a stamp on Salah from last night (possibly an offence in the first game?) but the Mané penalty claim was in the 8th minute (7m 42s to be precise). On the coverage I was watching, there weren't any replays of it till about 5 minutes later but it looked a pretty clear penalty call. They also showed it again during the half-time analysis.
Stamp is a bit harsh - had his foot trodden on in the box - clear foul - clear pen - if the ref had seen it ;)

It was almost identical in severity of the penalty Lovren conceded against Evrton against Holgate(?) Referee was Pawson. Ironically most Liverpudlians claimed this should not have been a penalty...

Fwiw I agree, a silly, needless push from the defender.

Back