A&H

Same Colour Shorts

MattyontheWhistle

RefChat Addict
Just FFwdng through some saved highlights shows on ESPN, and am I right in thinking I saw last week's Aston Villa game, with both teams wearing white shorts?

I didn't think this was ever supposed to happen in the Prem.

The Referee Store
I always thought that was a referee preference as I'd never seen it written that shorts must be changed as well as shirts. I grew up seeing on tv, Manchester United, changing their shorts to black when away to Leeds United for instance. I am used to refereeing rugby matches where the home team changes shirts in the rare occasion colours clash, but never shorts or socks.

I always remember as a player, it was the shorts & socks more than the shirt I used to identify my team mates, because that was where my eyes were generally looking..

From a officials viewpoint, I would think it makes it harder to discern the direction of a throw or GK/Corner IF the ball deflects off that part of the player's body.

Using the Man U example again, their home kit is red shirt, white shorts, black socks, but they often change the socks to white, or the shorts to black while still wearing the red shirt.

The away kit is white shirt, black shorts, white socks - but again have seen them play in all white.

It's preferential that shorts are different colours but not necessarily essential. Jerseys and socks should never be the same colour though.

Having said that, you would think that they would have been able to work out different short colours at that level of the game.

This has been a bugbear of mine for years now, at the top levels of the game in England. It's not as if the clubs can't afford a different colour of shorts, is it?

Back