A&H

Junior/Youth Sarcasim = booking?

Wow I'm genuinely surprised at the overwhelming view that's it's a dead cert caution. Obviously depends on the circumstances but the go-to here surely is a comment back that shows who's the smart arse and who's in charge. You then clearly follow through if they continue to take the piss. But an auto-YC risks making the ref look like he/she can't cope.

NONONONO!
1) It DOES NOT Depend on ANY circumstances
2) When you try to be a smart ass and you have 3 players come back at you with equally smart comments and then you end up booking them, THEN you have lost control.
We are not stand up comedians and whilst some refs can pull the smart comment off (but not as many as think they can) it certainly shouldn't ever be "the" recommended response.

The Referee Store
Depends......its normally quite obvious when a player is making a comment he wants you to hear.
However, it does sometimes happen that players make comments between them that aren't intended for your ears, at a normal speaking volume, that you might just be in a position to hear.......this is where experience and judgment help you determine how to deal with it.......if you were approaching a player from behind and he passed a comment to his mate?

A classic example of 'you had to be there' really........

Let's change a few words...

Depends......its normally quite obvious when a player is kicking an opponent and he doesn't care if you see.
However, it does sometimes happen that players kick each other when you aren't supposed to see, behind your back, that you might just be in a position to see.......this is where experience and judgment help you determine how to deal with it.......if you were approaching a player from behind and he kicked his mate?

A classic example of 'you had to be there' really....

Let's change a few words...

Depends......its normally quite obvious when a player is kicking an opponent and he doesn't care if you see.
However, it does sometimes happen that players kick each other when you aren't supposed to see, behind your back, that you might just be in a position to see.......this is where experience and judgment help you determine how to deal with it.......if you were approaching a player from behind and he kicked his mate?

A classic example of 'you had to be there' really....
Congratulations!

You have just made the most ridiculous post yet.....

Maybe it's a cultural thing. Akin to a Kiwi mate being genuinely surprised, when we were travelling in Scotland, to find himself arrested for breach of the peace, following some backchat to a policeman that back home was not only tolerated but expected.

Not at all.....I'm all for banging out a caution for dissent......just not convinced it was dissent as opposed to a comment to a team mate that the ref happened to overhear....
Obviously if it was said at such a volume designed to make sure the ref heard.......that's different....but said at a normal conversational volume to a team mate, as I said, not convinced.

Doesn't matter if it wasn't intended for the ref to hear - if the player really didn't want the ref to hear it they shouldn't have said it anywhere on the field. If it's in earshot of the ref, it can be considered for dissent.

Dissent and fouls are not comparable. You manage dissent. Fouls are always punished the least of which is a free kick.

If any referee tell me that they have always cautioned for any level of dissent and never given a quite word or public warning for it i would not believe them. You would never finish a game that way. At least not where I referee.

For the OP its a YHTBT. If this was a comment in the last minute of the game which was played in good spirit. I didn't have any trouble with players throughout the game and it was clearly said in a tone for a team-mate and no one else, then there is no way i would be taking out my yellow card for it.

Dissent and fouls are not comparable. You manage dissent. Fouls are always punished the least of which is a free kick.

If any referee tell me that they have always cautioned for any level of dissent and never given a quite word or public warning for it i would not believe them. You would never finish a game that way. At least not where I referee.

For the OP its a YHTBT. If this was a comment in the last minute of the game which was played in good spirit. I didn't have any trouble with players throughout the game and it was clearly said in a tone for a team-mate and no one else, then there is no way i would be taking out my yellow card for it.
At the risk of being pedantic (sorry!), I can honestly say that I have always cautioned for comments that I believed were dissent. HOWEVER I have managed or ignored a multitude of comments that (whilst showing some form of disagreement, frustration, confusion etc) did not, in my opinion, amount to dissent. I just think it makes our life simpler if we start from the premise that dissent is by definition a YC offence .. but not all irritating comments are dissent!

And for what it's worth I 100% agree with your take on the OP :)

LOL @Russell Jones, its pretty smart to not call anything you think you should manage (i call it low level dissent) a different name. It basically means you have followed the law to the letter :) I think we are talking the same thing just using different semantics.

Back