A&H

Saturday 3pm...

jamesb84

What better time to post an introduction?!

8 days to go until my referee course, brimming with excitement. It's been a while since being involved in football, and I can't wait to get cracking.

I know I'm not likely to get any replies for another 90mins at least, but I'm here and I'm ready to learn!

The Referee Store
Welcome to RefChat and best of luck on your course. Feel free to ask if there's any burning issues you may have.

Welcome James. Good luck with the course.

While doing it, try and get out and watch as many local grass roots games as you can, but watch the ref and his behaviour rather than the game. Even go up and say hello and introduce yourself - It's nice for the ref to have someone friendly to talk to at half or full time! :)

Hey James!

Best of luck with the course, do keep us all updated how it's going and if you have anything you'd like clarification or debate over! I say it a lot but the only silly questions are the ones you don't ask. The mad monkey has a great bit of advice, go watch some local football and pick up some on and off-field pointers. We do love a friendly face when we're alone in the middle at Lower Craphampton.

Well...for a variety of reasons I never got the chance to complete my course last year, so I'm booked on for the course starting in a few weeks time in Exeter.

Fitness is sorted, time dedicated to this, and ready and raring to go! Unfortunately the course starts on the first weekend of most leagues starting, so opportunities for watching some pre-season football are what I'm on the lookout for. Between now and Aug 8th I will have gone to at least 1 game!

Wish me luck...again!

If I was you I'd phone your CFA and see if they know of any friendlies due to take place between now and the 8th. They will probably give you one or two matches that are worth going to.

If I was you I'd phone your CFA and see if they know of any friendlies due to take place between now and the 8th. They will probably give you one or two matches that are worth going to.

Thanks HullRef, that's good advice. I'll give them a ring this afternoon and see what I can drum up in the way of pre-season friendlies.

Welcome. I agree, go and watch some local games and say hello to the referee.... approach in a friendly manner!

I remember when I did this before I passed, just for a chat at full time and I remember the referees face thinking who is this stranger approaching me and what does he want. It turned out after a chat, he was in charge of appointments in that league and for me to call him when I had passed. In addition asked me on my view about a penalty he gave.

Have fun and enjoy it!

Well...I went along last night to my local team's ends preseason friendly. Got chatting to the ref afterwards, got the inside info on some of the leagues I'm likely to be in the middle for.

Great advice from a Level 5, including some info about progression in 12-18 months for running lines in some higher leagues if I wanted to. Great explanation of his game management and some of the decisions he made.

Got a fantastic insight, and he seemed thoroughly pleased I had made the effort to go along. Thanks for the advice refchat, great advice!

Back