A&H

World Cup Second refereeing briefing streamed live.

The Referee Store
A very interesting interpretation of deliberate handball by Collina too.
This is the line that the FIFA Futuro modules have held for the last 2-3 years now. It's not the best approach, but if you're consistent, then that's a win in everyone's book.

From the VAR figures Collina gave:
  • 335 incidents checked
  • 17 reviews,
  • 14 decisions changed
  • Referee accuracy without VAR 95%
  • Referee accuracy with VAR 99.3%
Firstly, I find the figure 99.3% very peculiar. 333 (out of 335) accurate decisions would give 99.40% accuracy, 332 would give 99.1%. You can't have a decision 2/3rd correct. So 99.3% seem somewhat arbitrary.
He's saying that 335 incidents were checked. There would have been more decisions than that overall. Refs were 95% correct overall, and gained 4.3% in their total correctness when VAR changed those 14 decisions.

By my calculations (and I may have this a bit off), 14 decisions == 4.3% would mean that only 325 decisions were actually made. :D

If the reports are correct, FIFA considers there to be three mistakes made that were not corrected. That would be 332/335 of 99.1% correct. Perhaps FIFA doesn't have a working calculator with their 99.3% number.

The three errors are allegedly England : Tunisia (the first big Harry Kane hold), Sweden : Germany (the potential Sweden PK when the player was pushed/tripped from behind), and Serbia : Switzerland when the Serbian attacker was held by two opponents.

The unrefined amangst us called Mitrovic grasps a holding offence, I regarded it as more as a Swiss ménage à trois!

Just because the VAR didn't recommend an on field review needed doesn't mean the original decision was correct!

Just because the VAR didn't recommend an on field review needed doesn't mean the original decision was correct!
332/335 is an insult to intelligence
It seems ignorant and arrogant to force feed us these numbers. I'd have a lot more respect and faith in them if this statistic was reasonable. Maybe my refereeing statistics would belie 99% perfection if i 'gave' myself every subjective call. They need to get real if we want to see more of VAR and less of VARSE (quote Sheff)

If you ask fans and players alike 'has VAR been a 99% success as they suggest? and you'd get absolutely laughed at!! Pathetic!!!

We all know they aren't saying that 332/335 of the checks were the preferred decision. They're just saying 332 of the 335 were not clearly wrong or were clear and obvious errors fixed by VAR. Clearly there were calls that probably could have been different and weren't changed, but if it wasn't considered a KMI error (at least for the VAR) then what else is FIFA supposed to report.

They know perfectly well that the headline stat will be misleading and misconstrued.

Something like this should have been added "The on field decision reached in 30 out of the 335 checks was considered to be not the best decision but didn't meet the criteria for an intervention by the VAR protocol".

I don't think its the referee committees job to publicize every non-preferred referee decision. That's internal information that should stay between the refs, their assessors, and the committee. They've admitted to three significant mistakes and those three refs are probably done. A lot more transparent than any other football league or tournament.

Plus, using your idea the headline then becomes "FIFA admits to 30 referee mistakes".

We all know they aren't saying that 332/335 of the checks were the preferred decision. They're just saying 332 of the 335 were not clearly wrong or were clear and obvious errors fixed by VAR. Clearly there were calls that probably could have been different and weren't changed, but if it wasn't considered a KMI error (at least for the VAR) then what else is FIFA supposed to report.
This is where i don't understand your unwavering support of FIFA and VAR. We both want football officiating to improve, but you instantly defend the organisation and process in a manner which seems disingenuous. FIFA have been outed for what they are. Why staple your flag to their mast so steadfastly? It doesn't make sense. Surely it would have been infinitely more productive had Colina given a balanced account of the obvious difficulties encountered by VAR. Surely, this is the only basis on which to improve the process and officiating per se

FIFA is corrupt. I don't believe the referee committee is corrupt. I support referees.

Supporting referees is not the same as supporting FIFA. I cannot make it anymore clearer.
OK, I accept your response (except that the Referees Committee is an extension of FIFA) --> Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Otherwise we differ (only) on how to make progress

Last edited:
OK, I accept your response (except that the Referees Committee is an extension of FIFA) --> Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Otherwise we differ (only) on how to make progress

Of course it's an extension of FIFA. But, of its 12 members, 11 are former FIFA referees. The chairman is considered by most to be the greatest referee who ever lived. If you believe that the corruption of FIFA is so wide spread that you can't trust this committee, then I don't see how we can begin to discuss improvements.

As for progress, the time for FIFA to publicly analyze all of these decisions is not during the middle of the tournament. Calling out every slightly incorrect decision now only leads to article after article being written on every referee who has matches left.

If Gazzetta Dello Sport is correct, Marciniak and Brych refused to accept the recommendation of the VAR to have an on field review in SWE : GER and SRB : SUI and that they've been sent home. I guess we won't know if it's true to not, but Brych being one game and done would be shocking.

I hope not. Two of Europe’s best refs - given some of the trash we’ve seen so far, need the best staying in!

Just started watching it, odd quote from Collina RE yellow cards - "we told our referees to be accurate in protecting the image of the game" - am I reading too much into this or does this all but confirm they've been asked not to show as many yellows, as we suspected?

Back