A&H

Sent off manager / player

Zimmyman

Hi all just a quick one I had a situation where I’d sent off a manager grass roots football and while I was getting a drink from my kit bag after the game and getting ready for my next game he appeared from nowhere to ask me why I had sent him off I then said you should not even be here in this area you were sent off ! He still persisted to keep asking me and I said I’m not going to answer as you should not even be near me after being shown a red
Right or wrong ??????

The Referee Store
I'm honestly not sure what's technically right here. I'd think if they were sent off, they'd technically not be able to approach you while you're still on that same field. So you're in your right to tell them this and shoo them away.

In practice (to me) it would have a lot to do with the demeanor of the coach and my relationship with them.
  • I've cautioned coaches who I'd not want to chat with after the game.
  • But there are some I joke with a bit after the game about it and we're a bit cheeky with each other, completely respectfully.
If I sent a coach off and it was the latter kind, I might not mind having a quick conversation with them just to keep things respectful and cordial. But if a coach is coming at me hard, they're being sent away immediately and a report is being filed about the incident.

Above post nails it for me. Sometimes a quick but respectful conversation about the situation is useful for all post game (depending the temperature as well, as some games, just leaving is the best option). I think it gives you their opinion as well, so you can learn from the situation, maybe recognise when a similar situation starts to build up in the future, and possibly identify a mistake you may have made.

However, the player/manager can just be trying to gaslight you to get out of a fine/ban and this type of conversation is useless for all, as realistically this person has been sat on the sideline stewing for many minutes and has probably thought of a million excuses, and ways to twist what happened.

Yes I’m all fir converse after the game but my point is if you are sent away from the field of play are you allowed back on it to question a match official no matter how friendly one might be

This is probably covered more strictly in your competition rules, I'd assume. A good question for your local assignor, admin person, etc.

LOTG state:
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.
That's really all we get. It doesn't say anything specific about when the sending off officially ends.

Most important IMO is to use common sense and make prudent decisions based on the temperature of the coach.

Personally if they come up to me in a calm manner for a chat about it, I’d be more than willing to have the conversation. If they come in firing from all cylinders, it’ll be a very one sided conversation with me building information for an extra ordinary report

Check your league Disciplinary rules for further insight as to what is expected of sent off participants for the remainder of the day

Just to clarify, is the implication you sent the manager off and didn’t inform them why at that point?

If that is the case, I am not condoning the subsequent behaviour but personally I have never sanctioned a player or team official without explaining why at the point of card issue.

Or is it they were told why at the time, but we’re seeking to argue the point?

If the manager you sent off genuinely doesn't know why they've been sent off then I'm guessing it's for something technical or for OFFINABUS.

If it's for the latter then I'd guess they already know and are just inviting an argument/debate over it. ;)

In any event, I'm keeping conversation and interaction with them to a bare minimum.

E.g.

Manager. "Ref, why have you sent me off?"

Me. "Offensive/Insulting/Abusive language"/"Entering the field to confront me" etc.

Manager. "But Ref, how is that etc". ...

Me. "That's it mate. You've asked me and I've told you. You need to leave me alone now please or I'll have to report this as well".

No debate, no arguments, no protracted discussions. Nip it in the bud and move away from it. :cool:

If they're approaching in a reasonable manner then I'm more than happy to have a reasonable conversation. Had in instance in a game this season where I sent off a coach for entering the FOP during a small confrontation to start shoving and dish out verbals to a player from the opposition. He came over in the bar after the game and asked me why he was sent off, explained to him the reason why and quoted law(s), he said said "oh ok fair enough, I didn't know I could be sent off for that" and off he went on his merry way.

In some instances if they can understand why, once the heat of the moment has gone then it may actually be helpful having a conversation afterwards. Also can reduce the chances of potential appeals / hammerings on club marks.

Back