A&H

Severe calf cramps

Will_A

Level 4 Referee
I had a game on Wednesday night and after about 60mins both calves started to cramp up whenever I tried to sprint.
Got through the remaining 30mins and 10mins of stoppages 😒.

Thursday wasn't too bad, the usual aches and pains after a game just about 10% more painful.
However, Friday and this morning, I'm in agony trying to walk. My calf has contracted so much that I can't put my foot flat on the ground and am having to hobble around on tip toes to stop my calves from stretching at all. I've tried some gentle stretching on the stairs to try and loosen the muscles but nothing is easing it.

Anyone had similar issues? I've always suffered with calf cramps if I don't hydrate properly during a game as I sweat a lot and lose a lot of salts but I've never had pains like this 3 days later!

The Referee Store
I had a game on Wednesday night and after about 60mins both calves started to cramp up whenever I tried to sprint.

Thursday wasn't too bad, the usual aches and pains after a game just about 10% more painful.
However, Friday and this morning, I'm in agony trying to walk. My calf has contracted so much that I can't put my foot flat on the ground and am having to hobble around on tip toes to stop my calves from stretching at all. I've tried some gentle stretching on the stairs to try and loosen the muscles but nothing is easing it.

Anyone had similar issues? I've always suffered with calf cramps if I don't hydrate properly during a game as I sweat a lot and lose a lot of salts but I've never had pains like this 3 days later!
Sounds like more than a cramp mate.

What's it like to touch, if you massage it? Might be a trip to a physio for a diagnosis and recovery plan. What I wouldn't be doing is reffing any more games until the pain has gone, at least.

I had the same a season or 2 ago, apparently very common with men of a certain age that don’t exercise a lot. I found it quite insulting to be honest 😁. Only thing to help was rest, think I had 3 months off games to recover

I had the same a season or 2 ago, apparently very common with men of a certain age that don’t exercise a lot. I found it quite insulting to be honest 😁. Only thing to help was rest, think I had 3 months off games to recover
I took last season off for personal reasons. Unfortunately that meant I was not fit at all come the start of this season.

The week before registration for this season, my work had a fire drill, I'm on the 9th floor and I felt coming down those stairs for the next week. Thought it would not be fair to impose that fitness on any games I'd be given (I had previously been given AR assignments in my areas 1st and 2nd tiers - which are considered the 2nd and 3rd tiers in Australia, be what that may), so took this season off too, in the aim to get fit in time for next season. Severe calf cramps are not fun at all...

Sounds like more than a cramp mate.

What's it like to touch, if you massage it? Might be a trip to a physio for a diagnosis and recovery plan. What I wouldn't be doing is reffing any more games until the pain has gone, at least.
It was definitely cramp during the game, its the aftermath that I've not experienced before.
Really tender to touch, can't massage it yet as it's too painful to put any pressure on it!
Improvement today though, no sitting down allowed, lots of gentle stretching and walking!

Hoping it's improved as I'm FA Trophy duties next weekend! (On the line so not as strenuous)

That sounds like there is potential muscle damage if it’s sore/tender to touch/massage several days after.

I’d say get to a physio and if anything being AR puts you at greater risk as you normally have more quick sprints and the crabbing is not a friend of calf injuries

I used to get the same problem, cramp after 70 mins regardless of how much training, how much water I drank etc, I’d be in pain for days after. I started getting monthly sports massages and whilst they helped and I still get them now, it didn’t get to the root of the problem.

Ultimately, it comes down to electrolytes in your body, so lucozade, energy gels etc will all help. However one thing I didn’t know is that drinking too much water can be counter productive, replacing the electrolytes. My sports therapist gave me the advice of the morning of the game, drink coconut water and eat a Banana. That Boosts the electrolytes in the morning without the high sugar intake, drink water and luczoade during the game to maintain them. Amazingly, I’m yet to have cramp since I started doing this!

I would say however that the pain you’re having sounds much worse than mine. Id be uncomfortable for days after but not as far as being unable to walk etc so it could be worth checking in on that side of things

Day 4 and I can walk again. Turns out resting wasn't the thing, spent yesterday forcing myself to walk around the house and it's loosened up the muscles, much better today!

The contraction caused by a muscle cramping can often be enough to cause a very sore aftermath if you don't manage to "catch" it in time.
Sounds like that's what it was to me ... 😉🙂👍

Argh feel you. I missed many months with another injury and coming back I had really tight calves. Earlier this year I pulled them both. 3 weeks out then 7 weeks out. Still I get some crazy cramps at night. But I am back and running at close to max again... and I put it down to the foam roller.

I went for sports massage and it was OK but every night I watch TV on the floor and give it loads with the foam roller for the calves and it's basically worked.

Back