A&H

Sheffield Utd V Newcastle

Funny, to me it looks like the ball bouncing up and accidentally hitting a player's hand which was in a natural position.
For me, Gordon’s hand prevents the ball going out of play, which just doesn’t feel right and is the sort of thing I feel that the handball law should be written to prevent. I can’t make it any clearer though that I agree under the LotG it definitely isn’t handball, as seems to be the general consensus here.

The Referee Store
For me, Gordon’s hand prevents the ball going out of play, which just doesn’t feel right and is the sort of thing I feel that the handball law should be written to prevent. I can’t make it any clearer though that I agree under the LotG it definitely isn’t handball, as seems to be the general consensus here.
If you watch the video again, you'll see that the ball hitting his hand is the only reason the ball nearly goes out of play - it didn't prevent it from going out at all.

If you watch the video again, you'll see that the ball hitting his hand is the only reason the ball nearly goes out of play - it didn't prevent it from going out at all.
To be fair having watched it just now I can see that - I hadn’t seen the incident since yesterday when it actually happened. There’s still something about it which makes me slightly uncomfortable, but it’s definitely a perfectly legal goal.

Yet you thought the Luton one was a stonewaller?(I do think that is more of a pen going by the laws but can understand why people think it's not) And you wonder why people get so confused what is and what's not handball.
Absolute chalk and cheese. The Wolves player had his arm up straight above his head, he couldn't really have made himself any bigger if he'd tried. Gordon's arm is in a perfectly normal position.

The touch off Gordon's arm actually made it harder for him to control the ball, why would he possibly do that deliberately?

More importantly, what's the threshold for Serious Foul Play these days?
Player goes in with that level of excessive force in my game this Saturday and he has nil chance of kicking anything else for a few weeks

Worrying for the EPL this result. I'd be worried if I was them. FFP and the state of the game widening the gulf between the haves and have nots
I didn't get much enjoyment out of that level of opposition humiliation
Anyway @Big Cat , nobody is talking to you, so I'll talk to you 'myself'
Here's what I would class as Serious Foul Play if this happens in your game this weekend. Excessive Force is the term
BTW, you're the best @Big Cat ❤️

I think it's the orange end of sfp. He's taken all the ball then the contact isn't 'studs showing' despite being on the shin
It's like driving way over the speed limit... that's the crime you commit. Sometimes you get away with the crime by not crashing into anything. The crime is excessive force in this case. It's just luck that separates this and the Chelsea equivalent

PGMOL just sh1tting themselves WRT ruining the product. It was like watching a crap one sided youth game anyway
Every chance the game is becoming less interesting anyway, as the gulf between the haves and have nots is becoming cavernous

Anyway, maybe my spectacles had b&w stripes, but I think this had the SFP signature about it personally

Last edited:
I think it's the orange end of sfp. He's taken all the ball then the contact isn't 'studs showing' despite being on the shin
My immediate thought there was red, but he does, somehow, keep his foot very low on the follow through. I'd agree with the orange end, but if orange then presumably means it can't be a clear and obvious error.

Absolute chalk and cheese. The Wolves player had his arm up straight above his head, he couldn't really have made himself any bigger if he'd tried. Gordon's arm is in a perfectly normal position.

The touch off Gordon's arm actually made it harder for him to control the ball, why would he possibly do that deliberately?

And yet there was outrage amongst the manager, pundits and even former professional referees who says that is not a pen yet this one imo was more of a handball than the Wolves one and I think alot more pundits would accept a penalty if a defender handled a ball like Gordon did.

People said he stopped the ball from going out by hitting his hand, I actually thought the opposite, I thought the ball was heading away then hit his hand which seems to of put backspin on the ball which gives him a slight advantage, he might of still got the ball in anycase but if that was against my team I would find that hard to swallow really. I understand gaining an advantage from the ball hitting your hand is not part of the laws but maybe it should be when it leads to a goal pretty much soon after.

And yet there was outrage amongst the manager, pundits and even former professional referees who says that is not a pen yet this one imo was more of a handball than the Wolves one and I think alot more pundits would accept a penalty if a defender handled a ball like Gordon did.

People said he stopped the ball from going out by hitting his hand, I actually thought the opposite, I thought the ball was heading away then hit his hand which seems to of put backspin on the ball which gives him a slight advantage, he might of still got the ball in anycase but if that was against my team I would find that hard to swallow really. I understand gaining an advantage from the ball hitting your hand is not part of the laws but maybe it should be when it leads to a goal pretty much soon after.
What you are saying in your last paragraph would have been handball a few years back. But the managers & pundits you speak of didn’t like the ruling……..

Managers and players will generally agree with the decisions that go their way. Pundits will generally go with the one that will cause the most controversy. Then you have hypocrites like Jermaine Jenas who will say whatever, as long as their face is seen and voice is heard

Last edited by a moderator:

That's what the law was though, and everyone complained that goals were being ruled out because of accidental handling in the build up, so it was changed to how it is now. It can't work both ways.

I completely agree that under law this isn’t a handball offence, but feels to me like another example of the law not covering everything, (which is an impossible job). The photo you posted looks like something out of a basketball game.
Just what I thought, but the arm didn't look that far away from the body from other angles. Penalties get given against defenders with a hand that far from the body. Perhaps IFAB need another stab at it - the ball hitting your arm while your body is off the FoP is an offence.

Just what I thought, but the arm didn't look that far away from the body from other angles. Penalties get given against defenders with a hand that far from the body. Perhaps IFAB need another stab at it - the ball hitting your arm while your body is off the FoP is an offence.
Then we can see them drawing lines for five minutes to determine where the body and the arm is....

The law is never going to take account of every single circumstance, and it shouldn't IMO. Ones like this are tricky because they don't feel right, but establishing the broader point is more important even if we don't agree with the details ie. that handball in terms of using your arms/hands illegally to play the ball is the key issue.

Reactions: Kes
Back