A&H

Should I have given offside?

Even the keepers view being blocked is open to the officials interpretation !

Too many grey areas in the LOTG to achieve consistency amongst referees .

The Referee Store
I always tell the club AR wait till the player has possession of the ball before you flag for offside....and likewise i tell the players b4 the match on kit inspection "always play to the whistle,especially on the offside as the flag is meant for me and i might over rule the linesman."
I would not have given the offside as the player did not touch the ball and was not interfering with play i probably would have said something like " Play on no offside " everybody happy.....

The attacking player nearest the ball has made an obvious move to take possession when no other team mate can. The team mate only moves when then defender has given up the chase. Example 4 on P111 of LotG best illustrates that it is not necessary for the ball to be played by the player in an offside position.

@haywain I'm blaming a system that allows an untrained person to have a major influence over a fairly important decision in a game.
Rather than a referee guessing ! You can only judge most offsides if you are in line !

Rather than a referee guessing ! You can only judge most offsides if you are in line !
At the level that 99% of the users who use this forum operate, 99% of the offside decisions are obvious and can be adjudged by the referee working on his/her own. A maxim I was told when in my early days, no one ever remembers a dodgy offside, but they always remember a dodgy goal. Play safe and if in doubt, give the offside decision.

Ok i have my pith helmet on as i am expecting pelters so here goes...................Many of the Level 3's and 4's i am out with at the moment talk in the pre-match about refereeing to expectations and lets not have any surprises. Now please do not interpret that as not applying the laws as that is entirely different, i have also spoken with PGMOL officials about this too, sometimes we bend the laws ever so slightly and i mean slightly. With that in mind and the standard and age of the players i am giving offside all day long and dont think any of us would have much problem selling this decision.

Off you go.........................!!!!

In all honesty, if you do decide to give it, you need to give it before the striker stops - ie give it while he's still running for the ball.

Ok i have my pith helmet on as i am expecting pelters so here goes...................Many of the Level 3's and 4's i am out with at the moment talk in the pre-match about refereeing to expectations and lets not have any surprises. Now please do not interpret that as not applying the laws as that is entirely different, i have also spoken with PGMOL officials about this too, sometimes we bend the laws ever so slightly and i mean slightly. With that in mind and the standard and age of the players i am giving offside all day long and dont think any of us would have much problem selling this decision.

Off you go.........................!!!!
Nothing going to hitting the fan from me...... i agree with you !

At the level that 99% of the users who use this forum operate, 99% of the offside decisions are obvious and can be adjudged by the referee working on his/her own. A maxim I was told when in my early days, no one ever remembers a dodgy offside, but they always remember a dodgy goal. Play safe and if in doubt, give the offside decision.

"99%"??? That has to earn you today's "Dodgy Made Up Stat" award!;)

In the last clinical..... "what level do you ref at "...... survey I undertook I came up with a low level refereeing percentage of ...................

85 % ......I challenge Mr Hamilton to show some evidence to back his figures .:D

"99%"??? That has to earn you today's "Dodgy Made Up Stat" award!;)
I'd like to thank my team of statisticians, my Maths teacher at school who sewed the seed of creativity within numbers and of course my parents without whom I wouldn't exist (100% fact). ;)

In the last clinical..... "what level do you ref at "...... survey I undertook I came up with a low level refereeing percentage of ...................

85 % ......I challenge Mr Hamilton to show some evidence to back his figures .:D
I'll see you in court sir

Last edited by a moderator:
Back