A&H

Shrewsbury vs Liverpool Black Kit

RefCrow

Any one have an issue with Adrian wearing black Kit with the officials? I have seen a rise in black team kits at local level.

The Referee Store
This keeps coming up, referees at senior levels are told to ignore clashes between themselves and keepers.

There are 4 colours in the Nike kit - Black, Orange, pink, and blue. Often that rules out all of the colours if you can't clash with either keeper, especially as the orange and pink can't really be worn if either team is in red.

At local levels teams are not allowed to wear black or very dark blue kits, if you come across teams doing this report them as that is the only way it will get sorted out. Don't compare the Premier league with a local parks game as they aren't the same, teams at higher levels are allowed to wear black kits.

At that level kits are pre- determined by the leagues and sent to the teams and officials. Rarely it changes on the day and that has to be consulted with the league match commissioner on the ground.

This keeps coming up, referees at senior levels are told to ignore clashes between themselves and keepers.

There are 4 colours in the Nike kit - Black, Orange, pink, and blue. Often that rules out all of the colours if you can't clash with either keeper, especially as the orange and pink can't really be worn if either team is in red.

At local levels teams are not allowed to wear black or very dark blue kits, if you come across teams doing this report them as that is the only way it will get sorted out. Don't compare the Premier league with a local parks game as they aren't the same, teams at higher levels are allowed to wear black kits.

Its clear from the number of times it happens that you're correct with the first sentence, however, I do wonder the reason for that - it is certainly NOT due to lack of options though - at that level and with all the kits available that's patently just not true.

At a recent Supply League referee meeting, one of the current EPL officials was asked about exactly this issue. His response was basically that they try their best but in the wider scheme of things they see it as trifling. As he put it ... "I'm not expecting to be challenging Adrian for the ball" :)

At a recent Supply League referee meeting, one of the current EPL officials was asked about exactly this issue. His response was basically that they try their best but in the wider scheme of things they see it as trifling. As he put it ... "I'm not expecting to be challenging Adrian for the ball" :)

I get that, but as NO referee will ever challenge ANY goalkeeper for ANY ball, its OK for the rest of us then.................................... no its obviously not, which is where it starts to irritate!

Its a wider issue I guess and yes I get its a different game at the top and for some things that applies and is understood but for others, especially when, like in this case its actually easier to stick to LOTG at that level than at grassroots where referees and GKS have ONE shirt each, it really makes no sense at all and annoys me, but there you go that's probably just me!

Reactions: JH
To me the irony is that the laws make clear that you should play if the GKs match--and it is the GK who could come in the late game attack and actually cause confusion. They should simply add the same language about GKs matching the officials--which is, in reality, how the game is played today.

(I think some of the issue with the top level teams has to do with marketing: they want fans to see the different kits so that fans will want to buy shirts for the different kits (much better if fans buy three shirts than two, which is really the only reason to have a third kit in the first place). So that marketing overrides some of the pesky concerns we have about colors.)

Back when life was in black and white, you had to walk backwards uphill in the snow just to get to a game, and Royal Engineers were on a cup run, I ended up at Southampton FC to referee one of their academy sides against Reading (I think) who had a fetching all-black away kit that they decided to turn up in. Ah. I've only got all-black. Three choices of shirt, but all of them black.

Reading management - and let's not forget their first choice colours are BLUE AND WHITE - were quite patronising that this was somehow all my fault while I was trying to find a bib or something that wasn't godawful for me to run around in, then one of the Southampton staff found a green Premier League jersey, competition badge and all, that an official had left there a couple of games ago. It was absolutely huge on me, but I'll never forget wearing that with absolute glee.

Naturally it was all downhill from there.

(Always suspected it was Alan Wiley's tbh)

Its clear from the number of times it happens that you're correct with the first sentence, however, I do wonder the reason for that - it is certainly NOT due to lack of options though - at that level and with all the kits available that's patently just not true.

Trust me, it is because referees cannot tell keepers at that level to wear a different kit. They aren't allowed to even if they wanted to, and there was one game recently that whatever kit the officials wore it would have clashed with someone - better to clash with the keeper than risk a clash with outfield players.

Indeed, there are several occasions where there is no choice but to clash. The current PGMOL shirts are black, bright yellow, cyan blue and red/pink so whatever he wore, he would either clash with 10 outfield players of one side or a goalkeeper!

Trust me, it is because referees cannot tell keepers at that level to wear a different kit. They aren't allowed to even if they wanted to, and there was one game recently that whatever kit the officials wore it would have clashed with someone - better to clash with the keeper than risk a clash with outfield players.

Get that point as well, but there are numerous times every weekend that other colours that do not clash ARE available to the officials to wear.

But the match officials don't get the choice, they are told what to wear.

That doesn't affect if its right or wrong as per LOTG, just who is to blame!

That's my point - its OK in the 'best league in the world', but some poor level 7 going for promotion loses marks because he allows it in the Grimthorpe Miners League Div 5!

That doesn't affect if its right or wrong as per LOTG, just who is to blame!

That's my point - its OK in the 'best league in the world', but some poor level 7 going for promotion loses marks because he allows it in the Grimthorpe Miners League Div 5!

But grass roots club's in England aren't allowed to wear black or very dark blue kits, so it shouldn't be an issue at any rate.

The closest I have ever come to clashing with a team was one where they had black and white striped shirts that were solid black on the back (but with large white numbers). And no, my observer on the day said absolutely nothing about it.

But grass roots club's in England aren't allowed to wear black or very dark blue kits, so it shouldn't be an issue at any rate.

The closest I have ever come to clashing with a team was one where they had black and white striped shirts that were solid black on the back (but with large white numbers). And no, my observer on the day said absolutely nothing about it.

Not really my point, will try one more time - it can't be correct that clubs/PL/PGMOL/refs decide to ignore the law at that level and everyone accepts it.

I have been reliably informed today on Twitter that grassroots referees are now allowed to wear coloured shirts to avoid clashes

Back