A&H

Simulation but not really simulation

As a former player, and I speak for many of my former team mates too......if someone has dived and is screaming for a pen then regardless of what the referee does, he's going to get done when the refs back is turned. Just the way it was and still is in some areas

so, get in their first, stop game, caution the cheat, and say to the defenders, guys, dealt with, end of. Proactive,

The Referee Store
so, get in their first, stop game, caution the cheat, and say to the defenders, guys, dealt with, end of. Proactive,

I dont disagree with that at all, it's obvious common sense. It just doesn't work in certain leagues, certainly not back then anyway. I'm not guessing here, it's what happened. The referee can do everything right and be as proactive as he wants and needs to be but in the Manchester Pub Leagues for example where I played Sunday football for over a decade, it would be evened up and then some regardless of what the referee did.

But that detracts from the original point which is obviously perfectly valid and the correct thing to do as a ref

I dont disagree with that at all, it's obvious common sense. It just doesn't work in certain leagues, certainly not back then anyway. I'm not guessing here, it's what happened. The referee can do everything right and be as proactive as he wants and needs to be but in the Manchester Pub Leagues for example where I played Sunday football for over a decade, it would be evened up and then some regardless of what the referee did.

But that detracts from the original point which is obviously perfectly valid and the correct thing to do as a ref

as long as you deal with the evening up....afterall, you know its going to happen, so, be ready!

Kinda same as when you hear stuff like " i'll do you later", i would normally get in with. " oh really, thanks for the heads up, " .......

I fell into the trap of wanting retribution. A decent player had shown me up in the first half as a GK in a 5 a side tournament, 4-0 down, no question I was going up for the second half. Sadly for him he only saw 5 seconds of the second half as gravity and size 12s took over!

as long as you deal with the evening up....afterall, you know its going to happen, so, be ready!

Kinda same as when you hear stuff like " i'll do you later", i would normally get in with. " oh really, thanks for the heads up, " .......

I was ready, it was usually me doing the evening up 🤣

you hatchet man

It was kind of reverse peer pressure. Diving was a crime worse than death in most managers and players eyes and it was expected that you took revenge, even if you didn't want to.

I think it's more accepted in the game now. It's not liked but it doesn't carry the same stigma with younger players as it used to. Probably because of VAR

It was kind of reverse peer pressure. Diving was a crime worse than death in most managers and players eyes and it was expected that you took revenge, even if you didn't want to.

I think it's more accepted in the game now. It's not liked but it doesn't carry the same stigma with younger players as it used to. Probably because of VAR

Spitting still has the desired effect...

I can imagine that the ban for spitting will be considerably worse after this. Probabl upgraded to assaulting a player/official

i actually caught one this ( last ) season, Lucky spot, right place, right time, bit of experience, first one in years, i got lucky,

Had loads of nose to nose aggrieved players, even that I’m sure will be shunned in the new normal?

i actually caught one this ( last ) season, Lucky spot, right place, right time, bit of experience, first one in years, i got lucky,

Only had this once in my 3 season refereeing and it wasn't straight forward. U18s game, striker spits on the floor several feet from the defender. He definitely meant to spit towards the defender but also never meant to spit on him (hence the distance). Almost like a grim warning shot. It was my first season and I was giving myself a couple of seconds to decide what to do. The manager shouted that he wanted to make a sub and subbed the striker off, which I allowed as it made my job easier.

At half time the manager apologised to the opposition manager (who didn't think he meant to spit on him so he was really chilled about it). The player also apologised and was adamant he didn't mean to spit near him.

He definitely did mean to spit on the floor near him though and I'm not sure I'll ever be convinced that I got it right or wrong (probably wrong). But the outcome was an incident free game afterwards through good luck more than judgement. As a ****y ex player (whod played at a higher level than I've reffed at) I thought I'd breeze u18s leagues. First I cident that made me think about my capabilities and the difficulties that can be thrown up during a game

I feel it would draw unnecessary attention towards me which I wouldn’t want. Stewards wear luminous yellow as fans do need to know who they are.

and how does that same principle not apply to players knowing who the ref is?

replace fans, for players, and replace steward, for, referee.......

The Blades had that luminous kit in the early 90s, not sure they were the first but some fans still wear the replicas today. As a referee I’m not sure it’s the most flattering to those of a fridge visiting nature!

In the US, a bright yellow is the primary color (outside of MLS), and the one that all refs are required to have. While I tend to being a purist who thinks refs should wear black, I have found that I like the brighter colors because I can find my ARs (or my R) more easily. (And our bright yellow is much better than the yucky "gold" we had for so long.) While black is one of our 5 :)rolleyes:) approved colors, it has become the one I wear least as I don't like it at night games (the fields I'm on are not well lit), I don't like it on hot sunny days (which are many in Southern California, and I don't like it if fans are on the touch lines, as the AR can blend away (which is many of my games). So that leaves me with cool day games in stadiums--when my teammates happen to have black.

In the US, a bright yellow is the primary color (outside of MLS), and the one that all refs are required to have. While I tend to being a purist who thinks refs should wear black, I have found that I like the brighter colors because I can find my ARs (or my R) more easily. (And our bright yellow is much better than the yucky "gold" we had for so long.) While black is one of our 5 :)rolleyes:) approved colors, it has become the one I wear least as I don't like it at night games (the fields I'm on are not well lit), I don't like it on hot sunny days (which are many in Southern California, and I don't like it if fans are on the touch lines, as the AR can blend away (which is many of my games). So that leaves me with cool day games in stadiums--when my teammates happen to have black.

you have touched on my link between stewards and referee, visibility, plus, in the first stages of a mass con, the players will know you are there also.
There was a infamous clip here involving two teams, a ref in black and a very wet night, there was a mass con and it rolled on age, ref was bang in the middle of it, but nobody could see him
Its a diff topic anyway

Back