A&H

Sin bin for reckless play?

TheFoodieReferee

Level 5 Referee
Had an extremely 1 sided U15 boys county cup tie this afternoon. Issued a caution to away 4 for reckless play. After the game, the manager pulled me and said it should've been a sin bin (baring in mind, this was for his own player) for a foul. For me, I basically said that it's a foul at the end of the day that is a nailed on booking, you can only sin bin for dissent. His assistant then piped up that she was 'a qualified referee' and agreed with him that with the cost of living etc, it should've been a sin bin. I just said, that's news to me, I'll speak to my RDO on it and thanks for a good game. She wouldn't shut up about it saying that I need to check my emails etc and I just said look, it's over with now, if you have an issue, take it up the CFA and they will sort it, any more and I'll be issuing a card for dissent. She also said that the home side should've took a player off after they went 6 up, which I thought only applied to non-competitive football

Anyone any the wiser on this?

The Referee Store
Correct, sin bin is only for dissent. I think they're looking into maybe bringing it in for cynical fouls, but that is not yet the case.

The last comment sounds like some cr*p league rule they've maybe tried to introduce as some point. Either way, no, they shouldn't be taking a player off simply because they are winning by a large margin!

Just simple bull5hit from kids coaches who ought to know better but don't.

Treat it with the laughable contempt it deserves and look ahead to your next game ...

Our youth league has rules where a team can remove a player if they go 4 goals up and also a mercy rule whereby a result can be called if a team go 8 goals down, and the rest of the game is played as a development game.

All this stops before it goes to 11v11 though.

If I’m not mistaken, powerplay is a national thing for “mini-soccer”. Once they get to U11 it’s then just regular 9v9 football.

Thank you for all the replies, I thought I was right and couldn’t imaging binning someone for a reckless tackle or dropping someone from playing because the oppo are getting a hammering.

Mad that some coaches actually believe that, having said that😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️ the home gaffer didn’t know that sin bins existed in his league 🤦🏻‍♂️ in fairness, his lads were spot on all game and didn’t whinge or complain once during the game.

I’ve often found the “qualified referee” coaches are the worst for this sort of thing. I try to separate them into three categories:

1. Coaches pretending to be a referee for more apparent credibility in the conversation.
2. Much older or ex-referees who aren’t up to date on the LotG, and are very stubborn and set in their ways.
3. Real referees who are actually capable of being respectful and not trying to intefere.

1 and 2 are the ones that cause problems. Unless you’ve made a genuine howler a coach who is a real referee at the same level or higher is probably going to keep quiet and let you do your job.

I’ve often found the “qualified referee” coaches are the worst for this sort of thing. I try to separate them into three categories:

1. Coaches pretending to be a referee for more apparent credibility in the conversation.
2. Much older or ex-referees who aren’t up to date on the LotG, and are very stubborn and set in their ways.
3. Real referees who are actually capable of being respectful and not trying to intefere.

1 and 2 are the ones that cause problems. Unless you’ve made a genuine howler a coach who is a real referee at the same level or higher is probably going to keep quiet and let you do your job.
to be fair 1 and 2, they are the ball ache and think they're the absolute dogs bo**ocks!! They just can't seem to get rid of the rose tinted glasses for their team and let it go with the game.

Also🤣 your last 4 words of your last para, I don't know why but I read it and could just hear Roy Keane going it's his job in my head🤣

Definitely - had a L3 ref who was coaching and was a great guy. Supported me the whole way.

On the other hand… had a ‘qualified ref’ who had a go at me for restarting with a drop ball after his player went down injured instead of a free kick (no one was near him when he went down).

I came from a coaching background before becoming a referee, and it was the little howlers in one particular game that drove me to get qualified and do games.

Referee was calling for foul throws when players had the front of their foot over the line, but the rest still on the line.

I came from a coaching background before becoming a referee, and it was the little howlers in one particular game that drove me to get qualified and do games.

Referee was calling for foul throws when players had the front of their foot over the line, but the rest still on the line.
I had a coach try and claim that this was a foul throw last week (but it was alright when his team did it )!!

Double checked the LoTG at half time and knew I was right all along 🤣

Back