A&H

Sin bins (again)

And if they take an extra few seconds at every free kick, goal kick and throw-in, that's not reducing the punishment either?
Teams park the bus, stall the plane and break the tempo all the time when they're down a player. Unless you're going to pick on every instance of delay and count them all up, with the same accuracy you're going to give that nine minutes, what are you achieving except distraction?

I don't know if you referee in England, but if you do then you are just going to have to apply it as the rules say. Which is that the 10 minutes is actual playing time, not elapsed time.

Your argument about rugby is fundamentally flawed, as when play is stopped the clock is stopped, hence why a 40 minute half can easily last an hour. That clock is used for sin bin timings, so a player in the bin will stay longer than 10 minutes if play is stopped whilst he is in there.

The Referee Store
I'm now confused...
Player sin binned at 1520 gmt (20 minutes into the game), if no stoppages, player returns at 1530 gmt
If there is a 5 minute stoppage for an injury (match watch stopped for 5 minutes), the player returns at 1535 gmt (30 minutes into the game)
Correct?

@Nij As per one of my previous posts, your interpretation is different but has credibility with the way the law is written. I am hoping you can see how my/our interpretation also has credibility. Now you have two choices,
  • apply how everyone else interprets it
  • apply how you interpret it (which is different to everyone else)
Take a pick.
I'm not saying I don't see the credibility. That's why there is an issue; the phrasing is clearly ambiguous.
But if "everyone else" here is applying it one way and "everyone else" there is the other, then there isn't actually an "everyone else", just lots of "someone else".

I'm now confused...
Player sin binned at 1520 gmt (20 minutes into the game), if no stoppages, player returns at 1530 gmt
If there is a 5 minute stoppage for an injury (match watch stopped for 5 minutes), the player returns at 1535 gmt (30 minutes into the game)
Correct?

Correct. They're in the sin bin for 10 mins of played game time so would return after 15 mins of real world time as it were (15 mins off the pitch, but 5 of those the game wasn't playing)

I'm not saying I don't see the credibility. That's why there is an issue; the phrasing is clearly ambiguous.
But if "everyone else" here is applying it one way and "everyone else" there is the other, then there isn't actually an "everyone else", just lots of "someone else".
I take it that you are picking the second option. Expect a whole lot of "last week's ref" in your game if there is in fact long stoppage times during sin bin in your game. I am sure there will be a fair bit LWR for the referee's who follow you.

This forum has done it's part. Maybe you should speak to "everyone else" "there" :) to clear the ambiguity. Starting with your RDO possibly a good idea.

Why not fire off an email to IFAB and ask them how they expect sin bin timings to be applied.

Reactions: one
I take it that you are picking the second option. Expect a whole lot of "last week's ref" in your game if there is in fact long stoppage times during sin bin in your game. I am sure there will be a fair bit LWR for the referee's who follow you.

This forum has done it's part. Maybe you should speak to "everyone else" "there" :) to clear the ambiguity. Starting with your RDO possibly a good idea.
If I'm given an explicit interpretation to be followed in my area, I'll certainly apply it to the extent of "must", and go with the flow on "should", and continue to do what I find works best on "can".
That doesn't mean I won't want the law edited to be clear on what include means, because it is not equivalent to adds on at all.

If I'm given an explicit interpretation to be followed in my area, I'll certainly apply it to the extent of "must", and go with the flow on "should", and continue to do what I find works best on "can".
That doesn't mean I won't want the law edited to be clear on what include means, because it is not equivalent to adds on at all.
Agree with the point about the LOTG.
However, given that your interpretation seems to overwhelmingly differ to others, at least on here, I suggest you be proactive about finding out what it should be from "your area", rather than wait to see if you are given one.

I think this is quite straightforward isn't it and you're all right, but perhaps not seeing it?!

If you stop your watch for a long delay, then the 10 min sin bin countdown also stops, so you are including any LOST time.

If it's just general "stoppages" free kicks, throw ins, goal kicks, minor injury, etc, then that is included in the sin bin time. Otherwise if you're only counting when the ball is in play, the 10 min of sin bin time is going to cover about 20 mins of game time! Any of these stoppages is not deemed as lost time during a football match, just part of the game.

So I see both arguments being right.

Nij, I'm afraid you've got this completely wrong. I absolutely agree with those saying that the wording is ambiguous and could be read in two different ways - and unfortunately, your belief that it can be read only one way is misplaced. Based on everything I've seen, including the FA materials quoted by various posters here and based on simple logic, the sin bin time is NOT 10 minutes of 'real world' time, and I think it's fairly obvious from all the discussion and documentation that any time the referee is going to make allowance for at the end of the half, has to be included in (meaning added to) the sin bin time calculation.

This is entirely consistent with the way that the verb is used in other parts of the law related to timekeeping. For instance, when the laws says the referee should make allowance for time lost for "any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)" that means the time lost for any significant delay to a restart is added to, not subtracted from, the allowance for time lost. That's exactly the same as what it means when used in relation to sin bin time.

As others have said, if you don't do it this way, the player being sin-binned could end up missing none of the actual game whatsoever, which would mean they would have not received any punishment whatsoever and is totally against both the letter (as interpreted correctly) and the spirit of the law.

Sorry, maybe the last word this...LOTG states that...

With the exception of a substitute for a goalkeeper who is unable to continue, only players who are on the field of play or are temporarily off the field of play (injury, adjusting equipment etc.) at the end of the match are eligible to take kicks

Does that include players that are sin binned at the end of extra time?

Sorry, maybe the last word this...LOTG states that...

With the exception of a substitute for a goalkeeper who is unable to continue, only players who are on the field of play or are temporarily off the field of play (injury, adjusting equipment etc.) at the end of the match are eligible to take kicks

Does that include players that are sin binned at the end of extra time?
Asked this question to the CFA yes they can take part in penalties

Back