A&H

Sin Bins in Top Flight

I’ve read that the IFAB could potentially bring in sin-bins to the top flight, but I’m seeing a lot on Twitter from fans and media outlets assuming they are for what are being described as “orange card” offences. Surely sin bins will just be for dissent if introduced to elite football?

The Referee Store
I’ve read that the IFAB could potentially bring in sin-bins to the top flight, but I’m seeing a lot on Twitter from fans and media outlets assuming they are for what are being described as “orange card” offences. Surely sin bins will just be for dissent if introduced to elite football?

They are talking about it being for dissent but also cynical fouls.

Not sure how a 'cynical foul' would be defined with reference to the laws. I would have assumed it to be for SPA and DOGSO-yellows.
in my mind it should those tackles where someone 'takes on for the team', rather than all SPA fouls. this will obviously add a new layer of controversy where there's inconsistency between games but it's something i think the game needs.

There are some instances of SPA which ought to warrant a dismissal, but it is difficult define these occasions in words or guidance
IFAB are proposing a Sin Bin for these occasions (no doubt because that keeps the player on the FOP for some of the game), but subjectivity will be a huge problem. Besides, most of these instances occur towards injury time when Sin Bin has almost no downside and the player is free to play the following week (so no punishment at all really). Again, evidence that IFAB have no ability to think things through

Reactions: Kes
There are some instances of SPA which ought to warrant a dismissal, but it is difficult define these occasions in words or guidance
IFAB are proposing a Sin Bin for these occasions (no doubt because that keeps the player on the FOP for some of the game), but subjectivity will be a huge problem. Besides, most of these instances occur towards injury time when Sin Bin has almost no downside and the player is free to play the following week (so no punishment at all really). Again, evidence that IFAB have no ability to think things through
Unless it is right towards the end of stoppage time the last thing a team needs when they are under the cosh clinging onto a lead is to lose a player. Might be 6 or 7 minutes rather than 10, but still going to be a big problem for them. Thinking about it, with the added time we are seeing this season you could easily be sin binned in added time and still come back on.

Shall we have a Refchat sweepstake as to who the first ever EPL player to be Sin Binned next season will be? (Assuming they do promulgate it). :D
Also, which ref will be the first to use it?

I’m happy to have it for dissent but cynical fouls not so much, is anybody really calling for that?

Back