A&H

Single referee calling offside

The Referee Store
When I was a referee years ago in Middlesex, we had the discretion to work with club assistants, including offside. Today in Wales, club assistants are for in and out of play only. I do not agree with the wide and diagonal but the best advice I can give is to remind captains at the beginning that calling offsides behind play is tough and my priority is to look for late challenges etc and if I miss an offside both ways so be it. Captains generally accept it though will later claim a player was offside by 10 yards.

One assistant worse than none id imagine.
No. (Assuming we are talking about a competent assistant. With one assistant, you cheat to the other end, and get extra help from the AR you have. You only have to focus on OS at one end. Similar to when you have one strong AR and one weak one.
Could it be an option (depending on level of game) if there are two of you rather than three then referee a half of the pitch each ?
The dual system gets used in unaffiliated games in the US, mostly school games but also some rec games. It is extremely difficult to get consistency in the flow of the game with two Rs, which is why FIFA does not permit it.

One assistant worse than none id imagine.

Could it be an option (depending on level of game) if there are two of you rather than three then referee a half of the pitch each ?

I don't see where that could be feasible since one referee has a whistle and the other only has a flag (except in the United States, where high school and collegiate matches do have the option of a two-referee system where each official has a whistle - I can assure you this is not a good idea!)

I kept the NAR on the same side and same half of the field so each team had one half with an AR calling offside and one half with me calling offside. I "cheated" to some degree and didn't get as deep into the half of the field with the NAR as I usually would. I also stayed more on the other side of the field. It was not perfect, but we made it through the match with no issues - only a single dissent caution.

If in doubt, I blow for offside and admittedly do so because I tend to get less grief from the players/coaches/parents/tourists when I get that wrong than I do when I allow play to continue when it is offside and I miss it. I find it helps talking to the teams/coaches prior to KO about how difficult it is to call it but whatever decision I make, the decision is final. Works for me............most of the time

If in doubt, I blow for offside and admittedly do so because I tend to get less grief from the players/coaches/parents/tourists when I get that wrong than I do when I allow play to continue when it is offside and I miss it. I find it helps talking to the teams/coaches prior to KO about how difficult it is to call it but whatever decision I make, the decision is final. Works for me............most of the time

Of course, it is actually the exact opposite of what we are instructed--when it doubt don't call it.

Not in a match being played under the IFAB's Laws of the Game, no. If you're in the US and the Game is under the aegis of the NFHS, they have provisions (and detailed instructions) for the dual referee system. But although the OP is US-based, he was asking how people "in other countries" handle this. So again, if you're anywhere outside the US this is an absolute no-no.

Whilst its nice to be in the best position to spot an offside, like any offence as important, if not more important, is to be in the best position to confidently and convincingly give the offence.

I guess, playing football helps my refereeing decisions here... i anticipate a game play 1 or 2 movements ahead, and if ball is about to be crossed, then i quickly look at the defense/atackers position. After the cross, i give it few seconds to process movement of defenders/attackers, and only then call offside, if i see it, or let play on. Obviously, its a little bit hard when ball is passed quickly, at short distance, with defenders/attackers at similar line.. i would often give preference to attacking team, especially in the 2/3 of pitch, but closer to goals, i tend to go 50/50. Running diagoniles doesnt work for me, even though i consider myself fit at tender age of 48, but im not Flash. :)) also, to help in managing game, before game starts, i remind both teams, that i only call offside, balls out etc only when i see it. Otherwise, just play on.... most of the time i have no issues there...

99% of my games were solo, actually preferred it that Way, TBF...One point of decision making, one moan at one person, not perfect but I got the vast percentage right and the ones I got wrong 😢 **** happens, same for both sides!

99% of my games were solo, actually preferred it that Way, TBF...One point of decision making, one moan at one person, not perfect but I got the vast percentage right and the ones I got wrong 😢 **** happens, same for both sides!

Interesting. My view is exactly the opposite. Part of what I love about reffing is the team work between R and ARs. That can be the fun of working g with two other experienced officials all on the same page, or of mentoring teammates who are still progressing. I’m not sure I’d stick with it if I didn’t have that aspect.

Interesting. My view is exactly the opposite. Part of what I love about reffing is the team work between R and ARs. That can be the fun of working g with two other experienced officials all on the same page, or of mentoring teammates who are still progressing. I’m not sure I’d stick with it if I didn’t have that aspect.

I think I had qualified Linos in 2 games ever, tried the CAR but they were generally the bored subs who usually didn't give a toss!!

I usually say something along the lines of "boys, I'm hopeless at offside when I have 2 ARs and a fourth official. Tonight, I wouldn't play an offside trap."

Back