A&H

Six Second Rule .....Myth ?

To be honest, as long as hes not holding the ball for 5 minutes, I use it as time to get in position after playing that great advantage but couldnt shoot to save his life ;)

The Referee Store
Can't be removed unless you want to see a team score a goal than the GK keep the ball for the rest of the time.
I think this law is ok as it is, of course you're not going to count 6 seconds and then caution the GK every time, but if he do lose too much time, it gives you the right to shoot at him to hurry up and maybe caution him the next time..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KB
Once in 12 years for me.

Watching professional football for (cough cough) about 45 years, seen it once on the TV and never live (See about 20 live games a season)

Can't be removed unless you want to see a team score a goal than the GK keep the ball for the rest of the time.
I think this law is ok as it is, of course you're not going to count 6 seconds and then caution the GK every time, but if he do lose too much time, it gives you the right to shoot at him to hurry up and maybe caution him the next time..

Well - the "Delaying Restart of Play" caution comes without a time frame, so should be possible to draft something for GKs, and lose the 6 seconds?

Yes but this isn't a restart. The ball is in open play

Yes I agree, which is why I said if you wanted to lose the 6 seconds, you would need something added specifically for GKs.

Something like "It is an offence for GKs to excessively delay the restart of play after gaining control of the ball"

Something vague like that would make no difference whatsoever, but would please those who want the 6 seconds removed!:rolleyes:

Reactions: KB
Yes but this isn't a restart. The ball is in open play

Yes I know!

Sorry - would have to say "It is an offence for the GK to excessively delay releasing the ball after it is in his control"

I'm actually fine with the six seconds law as it is, was just suggesting an alternative to someone who said they would like to drop the 6 second offence!

Reactions: MI
Yes I know!

Sorry - would have to say "It is an offence for the GK to excessively delay releasing the ball after it is in his control"

I'm actually fine with the six seconds law as it is, was just suggesting an alternative to someone who said they would like to drop the 6 second offence!
I also agree with you

@Silhouette perhaps the problem isn't that you're keen to observe the law but that you're so strict on the exact 6 seconds?
Only if they're taking the michael... I.e. winning team, or every kick (and often if they're SUPER slow Goal Kick takers too - you know the type - I will hurry them along when I have the power to do so i.e. the 6 second rule).

Its not every keeper/holding interaction. Just when I think they are running the clock or being overly dramatic

Combination of brave ref and stupid stupid goalie. Firstly I never understand why players don't double knot their lace, secondly if it was that big of a deal launch the ball out of play. Very nice sporting gesture from the other team just knocking it out of play though.

At last, a lotg that every refchat ref will happily ignore ;)

or will they?......

From the time on the video, It was barely 6 seconds from the time he picked it up, to him kicking it (just before the whistle).

So not even correct in law. :rolleyes:

Back