A&H

Smartwatch replaces the pad?

The Referee Store

It's not actually that bad. Obviously once they get an English translator and narrator, I think it could be beneficial.

it looks very fiddly. Touch screen would worry me in an environment where it might be knocked, screwing up your match data!

I've not bought a smart watch yet but considering it. I was going to buy a spintso watch. If I can get a watch that has those features but also many others, it might be worth the extra £80.

A friend of mine has the Moto 360 sport watch, I've asked him to trial the app during his next game, it'll be interesting to hear his opinion on it.

Just purchased the moto 360 2 Sport... will try the app at the weekend and let you know my findings.

http://www.arbitrezvous.blogspot.fr...ic-depoux-la-conquete-de.html?m=1.VI3slhyvf;v

Unfortunately I can't translate this from French to English but you should be able to get the idea.

These guys are developing an app for the Android market which they say, could change the way we go about documenting instances in a game at the touch/tap of a screen.

If it worked, Would you guys opt in? They are developing it at the moment and I've asked to be kept up to date as I'd be interested in trialling it
I would definitely opt in if they created an Apple Watch app because I use my Apple Watch for time keeping during my games I officiate in.

I've got no problem with writing in the book to be honest. Its not like it takes hours!
But then you will never run out of match pads to record your games on. Think about the amount of paper you'd save. The future of refereeing will be paperless.

I would definitely opt in if they created an Apple Watch app because I use my Apple Watch for time keeping during my games I officiate in.

But then you will never run out of match pads to record your games on. Think about the amount of paper you'd save. The future of refereeing will be paperless.
I think so. Technology is coming on leaps and bounds and although the older generation would frown upon such a change, I think it could be very handy.

The app looks very good and is of course, still in the development phase. As soon as I've trialled it, I've said that I will translate the French words to English but also give them advice. For example, they use the word "sanctions" for cautions. Hopefully they'll take my advice on board and make it more English-friendly as all they've done is used Google Translate

As for Apple, i'm not sure what their plans are for that.

I think so. Technology is coming on leaps and bounds and although the older generation would frown upon such a change, I think it could be very handy.

The app looks very good and is of course, still in the development phase. As soon as I've trialled it, I've said that I will translate the French words to English but also give them advice. For example, they use the word "sanctions" for cautions. Hopefully they'll take my advice on board and make it more English-friendly as all they've done is used Google Translate

As for Apple, i'm not sure what their plans are for that.
Maybe one day there will be that app that has all the different leagues match reports intergrated, so if any cautions have been entered during the game, it will then automatically add it to your match reports, to help the referees and save them time. It could be useful as it could link straight to the correct place when it gets submitted so nobody will get annoyed that your report has gone to the wrong email address for instance.

Last edited:
With the tried and tested mk 1 notebook and WGS it takes mere moments to submit reports.

How would you have coped when we used to have to actually (shock horror) put pen to paper and write out reports?

@Padfoot I'd have probably gone into meltdown. It's a sign of the times, much better nowadays.

I've been a club secretary for the last 5 years, I've seen both sides - Completing and posting a teamsheet each week and now just completing Full Time. It's been made so much easier by technology, but also a heck of a lot quicker.

Can't say I miss the days of handwriting reports in triplicate and in different colour report forms.

Reactions: DB
Anyone tried a microsoft band 2? it has built in GPS. I don't know if you can use GPS and stopwatch at the same time though.

My watch arrives on Wednesday. I went for the Moto 2 Sport. I'll be trying the GPS function and the Refcard App next weekend

Whatever happened to making sure the basics are learnt and learnt well?

Buzzer flags, heart rate monitors etc etc....all just pointless distractions from the task in hand.....unless you are refereeing at an elite level.

Basically they are the furry dice of the refereeing world.......

Can't say I miss the days of handwriting reports in triplicate and in different colour report forms.
A friend designed a template that worked with Microsoft Publisher so I only this problem for a couple of seasons

Whatever happened to making sure the basics are learnt and learnt well?

Buzzer flags, heart rate monitors etc etc....all just pointless distractions from the task in hand.....unless you are refereeing at an elite level.

Basically they are the furry dice of the refereeing world.......
I will admit to wearing a HRM but doing so uncovered my previously undiagnosed heart condition and I wear it now to keep track of any anomalies. As for buzzy flags, don't think they should be used below Supply. Couldn't agree more about learning the basics. I see too many Supply League referees in a season who get away with things by the skin of their teeth. They need to be more consistent and deal with the basics instead of trying to curry favour with clubs. Do that when you don't have an assessor.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with having a watch that has a few extra functions to the likes of a Spintso or an RFT100? What's wrong with having a heart rate monitor and GPS? You can link it up to your pc and look your movement, checking that diagonal path.

As for buzzy flags, they are just a tool to help the assistant get the attention of the referee instead of shouting. That's it. People talk about the, as if they are some bad, mystical piece of apparatus which immediately drains you of refereeing knowledge as soon as you touch them. They are an aid where if used correctly, work very well and have a positive effect. I get why you don't like them, you believe too many referees rely on them too much, and that's a valid argument. But then you are stereotyping individuals. Some out there are using them at a low standard, and using them effectively. Again, it completely depends on who it is using them.

I wouldn't use them in games with CARs as I couldn't trust them, but cup games with other officials, I'd use them.

It's 2016 guys, get with the times. Technology has slowly been creeping in and it does help. My next quest is to design my own goal line technology system ;)

Technology has a place....at the elite level of the game, not on Hackney marshes on a Sunday morning.

Until you get there all you need to be worrying about is being where you need to be to see what you need to see...And of course knowing what to do about what you've seen.

Everything else is pointless clutter.....

I don't own a set by the way... Only used them a few times when running the line. I think maybe if I saw them a bit more and understood why you guys don't really like them, I'd agree.

I just think the concept is good. At the end of the day, it's just a way of getting a refs attention :)

Used properly buzzers are invaluable from an AR point of view. Never used them as a middle for the reasons stated above; work your angles! Develop good understanding with your team, haven't ever thought - damn needs me some buzzer flags! Yet anyway. They are possibly in mind for next season if all goes to plan (looking unlikely now mind).

as for everything else, you want to use it, why not? As long as it doesn't slow the game down or detract from the match, who cares really?

Not for me mind, but each to their own. :)

Reactions: DB
Back