A&H

Smoking cannabis on sideline

deusex

RefChat Addict
I know I've seen this posted before but cannot find it.
Having to referee some of the scumbags that I do, I have now refereed 3 matches in the past 2 weekends where someone has been smoking something that has absolutely stunk the pitch out.
Remembering that I don't have a lab to prove this stuff is what I know it is, can I/ Would you take any action?
What if it's a sub/ club official?

The Referee Store
Very difficult to do anything, as you say whilst we could be certain that it is Cannabis its very hard to prove otherwise....

Let the local Police know, it then passes to them and will avoid you getting into any confrontational situations

Last time I detected a "funny smell" coming across the pitch I told those who I thought were involved to stand 30 yards from the pitch - or - go down-wind of the pitch ...

When I first started refereeing, I use to referee on a lot of council estate pitches.

Often there would be the small of weed - but you are there to referee the game, so my advice would be to leave it, and pretend you don't notice it (others will disagree with me)

If you feel like it should be dealt with, approach the home team manager to sort it out as appropriate.

I had this in a 5 a side league I used to officiate in which was full of scumbags.

At one point I stopped a game and told the offenders to politely fudge off.

The smell disappeared more or less straight away.

Next thing I know at the next stoppage for subs (the game used to stop every 10 minutes to allow subs) one of the culprits jogs onto the pitch!

Cue constant whistle blowing. I was ready to kill him. Told him to get off the pitch immediately, he started to speak so I interupted and said it again, I was shouting by this point and beginning to feel my blood boil.

So I turned to his team mates and said take him off or I'll send him off and you'll be a man down.

He gave me nothing but **** from the side for the rest of the game.

I have to say though people smoking that sh1t in public is one thing that really really really pushes my buttons. Absolutely no excuse for it.

It was me that posted this a couple for weeks ago and have encountered it since. I chose to leave it alone and I haven't had any problems so far, but I guess if I did I'd deal with it the same as any other misconduct

Not sure there is a lot you can do, to play Devils advocate if some Romany traveller types brought horses onto a bit of land nearby and they started defecating so much it stunk the place out would you do anything?

Basically I'm saying is it the smell that bothered you or the potential that some is committing a criminal act.

Difference being that its not a smell that is off putting. Sure that the CDT team would tell you that you do not know how it will affect each person differently.

You, and everyone else is inhailing a substance that has the potential to affect you in different ways. You go over to oversee a throw i an get a face full of it as you are breathing - telling me that none of it is absrbed into your system?

Yes it counts for everything - smoking, pollution etc, but some things we cant do anything about, some we can.

And as D&A / medical contact for work I have to deal with those pulling up trace levels that "their mates were smoking it" so can go into detail re how much and when is tracable by all means.

Usially find a quick passing word with the Captain / manager works - move down wind please..

Back