A&H

So here I am forgetting to register... Now for the Course again!

Nath858

Level 7 Referee
So after passing my initial course in 2004 and ref'ing for some years I decided to have a couple of years out due to work commitments. I go start up again and get told I have to re-take the course. Don't get me wrong I totally agree with the reasons why but surely it's not right that, I am a little unsure/ nervous about the new course. I know it has come a long way since 2004..... Oh well back to the books / DVD.

The Referee Store
LOL

Suppose that means that you're not actually a L7 (as per profile) or technically not even a Ref........ Just saying! (Admin, we have a stow-away)

Just to note - you now have to pay for the course, and dont get any of it back when you pass. Don't let it put you off but, heads up!

130! After the time you took to get you 9-5 sorted, that should be about 2Hrs wages.

Bon chance - I hear that Essex are V strickt on their courses!

LOL

Suppose that means that you're not actually a L7 (as per profile) or technically not even a Ref........ Just saying! (Admin, we have a stow-away)

Just to note - you now have to pay for the course, and dont get any of it back when you pass. Don't let it put you off but, heads up!
Not quite true... My course cost in October was £50... Got that back after 10 games. Depends on your CFA. Get funding from the leagues that you plan to officiate in

Essex is a good county to train in. I worked with some of their senior and new tutors in October. Good bunch of people. You will enjoy yourself.

So after passing my initial course in 2004 and ref'ing for some years I decided to have a couple of years out due to work commitments. I go start up again and get told I have to re-take the course. Don't get me wrong I totally agree with the reasons why but surely it's not right that, I am a little unsure/ nervous about the new course. I know it has come a long way since 2004..... Oh well back to the books / DVD.

I was under the impression that it was FA policy that if you've failed to register for 5 years or more then you have to do the course again. Three years or less and it's just a LOTG test? There are guys out there that haven't been active for years yet are still showing as Level 7-5 because each season they still pay their fee and register!!
If that's true then there must be other reasons for you having to redo the course again outside your length of absence. (?)

I was under the impression that it was FA policy that if you've failed to register for 5 years or more then you have to do the course again. Three years or less and it's just a LOTG test? There are guys out there that haven't been active for years yet are still showing as Level 7-5 because each season they still pay their fee and register!!
If that's true then there must be other reasons for you having to redo the course again outside your length of absence. (?)
Our County require the number of games refereed to be declared at re-registration and this discouraged many of the placeholders last season. It did lead to a drop of around 17% in registered numbers but active % increased significantly.

Our County require the number of games refereed to be declared at re-registration and this discouraged many of the placeholders last season. It did lead to a drop of around 17% in registered numbers but active % increased significantly.

Sounds like a common sense approach by your CFA to me. ;)
Worrying if what I typed previously is true though. Makes a bit of a mockery of the whole system doesn't it?

I don't know if it is exact FA policy, but it's exactly what was said to one of our RA members by our County RDO only tonight. :cool:

Sounds like a common sense approach by your CFA to me. ;)
Worrying if what I typed previously is true though. Makes a bit of a mockery of the whole system doesn't it?

I don't know if it is exact FA policy, but it's exactly what was said to one of our RA members by our County RDO only tonight. :cool:
I understood it was 2 seasons or less and you get away with just the exam. Other reasons to insist on the course being re-taken is to ensure the referee is up to date on Safeguarding and Child Protection, as well as LotG of course.

All I know is, on contacting the FA to to re-register / retake exam I was told the full course would need to taken. But seeing as my safeguarding children was last done in 2004 that may be the reason why.

LOL

Not entirely accurate.....it appears if you are 19 or under you will get some of the fee refunded.

Almost like they had an agenda against the more mature applicants?

:rolleyes:

@Padfoot With the OP being 27 (on his profile declared age) he would therefore have to pay. If he was 19 or under I would have worded my post to reflect this, but he isn't so guess what - I worded it in accordance with his age!

Or are we supposed to reply to a specific topic by covering all possibilities?

Reactions: DB
Only necessary if you're refereeing youth football?

When I did my get into refereeing workshop thing the RDO said everyone had to have a dbs check an safeguarding children stuff.

He said this is because you can play open age football from 17 (?).

@Padfoot With the OP being 27 (on his profile declared age) he would therefore have to pay. If he was 19 or under I would have worded my post to reflect this, but he isn't so guess what - I worded it in accordance with his age!

Or are we supposed to reply to a specific topic by covering all possibilities?

Or are we supposed to trawl people's profile to discover if they have disclosed their age before replying?

Besides my point was a more general about how the system is weighted in favour of youth......as was self evident by the second line.....

Feeling a touch sensitive tonight?

When I did my get into refereeing workshop thing the RDO said everyone had to have a dbs check an safeguarding children stuff.

He said this is because you can play open age football from 17 (?).

You can play open age from 16......

I was active from 2000 till 2005ish, and then stopped reffing (More interested in going out on a Friday / Saturday night....)

I had to pay the full fee when I started again in 2014, and start again from Level 9, despite being several levels higher when I finished.

Back