A&H

Socially distanced checking of equipment

I thought tucking your shirt in is all you need to look professional :)

Seriously though (or maybe not) did I ever mention. The story about five monkeys in a cage? Can Google it. Sometimes we do things just because we see others do it even though it no longer has relevance.

The Referee Store
If the Assistant is being Observed (which generally happens at Step 4/5 or above) then substitutions are one of those few occasions when all eyes, including the Observers', are likely to be on the actions of that AR. So making the full equipment check super thorough is an easy way to look professional. :)
At those levels the footwear and jewellery check is part of the ARs' pre-match duties in England. Usually done in dressing rooms or as players leave the dressing rooms.

If the Assistant is being Observed (which generally happens at Step 4/5 or above) then substitutions are one of those few occasions when all eyes, including the Observers', are likely to be on the actions of that AR. So making the full equipment check super thorough is an easy way to look professional. :)

I fully understand why its done and the ceremonial nature of it. Its just a bit odd that theres no expectation to check the studs of the 22 starting players, but an absolute expectation to check the substitutes studs. Its bizarre to those of us who are former players.

For those who are observers on here, if you or a different observer pull up a referee for not checking substitutes studs, would the AR/team also lose marks for not checking studs of the starters? Or are stud checks on subs merely an observation and not worthy of losing marks over?

How about if the team check studs prior to kick off but didn't check those of subs that are coming on? Checking the original 22 players subs is far better than just checking subs studs in terms of the injury % as a result.

I'm being deliberately facetious for the purpose of debate. If I'm AR ill check the subs studs just because its kind of expected and not give it a second thought.

At those levels the footwear and jewellery check is part of the ARs' pre-match duties in England. Usually done in dressing rooms or as players leave the dressing rooms.

You don't check the subs leaving the changing room though, and often they won't even have their boots on, so they have to be checked coming on.

Back