A&H

Sock tape/Jewellery

Froominator

3rd Observation for 7-6 this morning. Sunday morning veterans cup semi with NARs. Easy game, 5-0, 1 caution (C1 FT), no dissent, handshakes all around.

Overall feedback immediately afterwards was positive re: match control, positioning and application of law. However observer used the phrase "very poor" for pre-game checks.

Specifically this was down to three points. Allowing different coloured sock tape, some visible jewellery (I saw none, but observer apparently did) and allowing one goalie to wear a snood.

Is this likely to be the end of 7-6 this time around, given that first 2 observations were both "above standard"?

The Referee Store
Did you carry out much more thorough equipment checks on your other two observed games? You have thrown marks away here. You need to be really picky about the sock tape when being observed but there's no excuse for the jewellery and snood. I hope you get the standard mark for today. Learn from it though.

I just noticed you had NARs. You can make allowances for missing the jewellery (assistants should have seen this) but you should have noticed the snood.

Whether this is the end of 7-6 depends on what mark you end up getting for the observation.

My county try and get people more than 3 observations, so if you did get a below standard then you might be lucky and get a chance for another observation

Did you carry out much more thorough equipment checks on your other two observed games? You have thrown marks away here. You need to be really picky about the sock tape when being observed but there's no excuse for the jewellery and snood. I hope you get the standard mark for today. Learn from it though.

No, same procedure at each. As I said, I saw no jewellery but if the observer saw some, then we must have missed it. Would the observer take into account that it was Sunday morning football re: sock tape? Lots of debate on here around Law 18 and whether your match control is actually helped or hindered at this level by being over fussy on such things.

No, same procedure at each. As I said, I saw no jewellery but if the observer saw some, then we must have missed it. Would the observer take into account that it was Sunday morning football re: sock tape? Lots of debate on here around Law 18 and whether your match control is actually helped or hindered at this level by being over fussy on such things.

If you know you're being observed don't take any notice of Law 18. It's really easy to enforce law 4 as it's done before the game begins. My advice is if you're on a promotion campaign you have to be strict with equipment. You're just throwing away marks if you're not. The observer isn't being fussy; he's just doing his job. He won't be aiming to catch you out but you gave him an obvious shortfall before a ball was kicked.
We have debated this loads of times before and I've said I usually keep a stash of coloured tape in my bag. It's a win with the players and the observer will be happy.

The observer will take into account the laws of the game. They are very clear on what colour sock tape the players must wear.

Incidentally, I've never had any problems making sure players wear the correct colour sock tape.

Speak to the observer about sock tape, undershorts, etc, before the game. If I'm observing at 5-4 on a senior league I will expect it to be dealt with, if I'm watching 7-6 on Hackney Marshes I am far less concerned.

7 to 6 is a box ticking exercise
Without knowing the exact scoring criteria, I'd guess that most of the marks are lost or gained before a ball is kicked or when the ball is out of play
So it's all about processes, timekeeping, admin, match preparation, equipment checks, communication, signalling, substitutions and so on
Basic handling of dissent, foul recognition and justified sanctions are also a factor, otherwise the skill of refereeing is something for a later date

Grats on the pass.

In future, be fussy. If they give you grief, you can caution/dismiss the managers thesedays, saves the bother. :p

Honestly, I’d be disappointed if an assessor criticised me for missing jewellery if I’d done the check as it’s not easy to spot everything. Unfortunately though, tape/under armour is and easy tick box check

Managers 'should' be helping refs by educating players and only sending their players to the FOP when they are suitably dressed.

I won't hold my breath... :confused:

Honestly, I’d be disappointed if an assessor criticised me for missing jewellery if I’d done the check as it’s not easy to spot everything. Unfortunately though, tape/under armour is and easy tick box check
It depends what jewellery you miss. For example, finger rings and ear/facial piercings there's no excuse for missing these whatsoever, bracelets and necklaces are a bit more forgivable.

Back