A&H

softening of dissent / time wasting cautions

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
At the start of the season the EFL refs i see at my team were pulling out cards in seconds for time wasting / dissent.

In the time since christmas i have seen the stance soften a lot.

At a recent game there was dissent 3 times and 3 times the player was spoken to but no card.

Anybody else noticed any changes at games they go to or watch on tv? Has Howard Webb told the refs to be more tolerant?

The Referee Store
As with anything like this, it's never properly followed through. Hard line initially now we're pretty much back to where we were

We're not quite back to where we were. I've noticed a marked improvement in my games.
Amazingly if it changes on TV it changes in the park!

(Or should I say in the Henfield Insurance arena or whatever grandstand-plague theatre Jimmy-boy is strutting his stuff!)

There has been absolutely no change in the PGMOL guidance. In the weekly clips circulated to their officials there is a steady stream of examples either a) praising referees for enforcing the new approach appropriately or b) calling out referees for not dealing with things as expected.

Overall, there continue to be way more cautions in the English professional game for dissent / DTR this season. But as ever, aiming for complete consistency across ~100 games each week is incredibly difficult

I think there's been a slight softening in the EPL, but that's only because they took things too far in the opening weeks/months of the season
However, I don't think it's influenced behaviour too much as players don't really care about Cautions, especially late in the game. They would care about receiving a second yellow in the same game, but like magic, that doesn't happen very often for those guilty of cheap C2/C4's

Back