A&H

Something I’ve never seen before

Abeverley

Hi guys. So here’s one I’ve not seen before. I’d appreciate some advise on a restart please.

Ball is on the wing and CAR puts flag up.
I blow to stop play and all players are adamant it didn’t go out.
I look to CAR and she says ‘oh sorry, I was just messing about with the flag’

Everyone looks at me.
I stuck with the throw and apologised to both teams.

Is there anything else I could have/should have done?

The Referee Store
Technically the correct restart would have been a dropped ball, But besides that there's not really anything else you can do.
Thanks for that.
I considered the dropped ball. I guess with hindsight that’s the easier sell- but I did just tell them that the lino had flag up and sorry.
I had already caused mass confusion with two other dropped balls earlier in the match lol. (Both correct in law)

You could look at how the players react, if they all set up for a throw-in you could use "spirit of the game" and jut let them get on with it. If anyone disagrees you have to go with a dropped ball. Not that dissimilar to when a spectator stops a ball that is obviously going out of play before it actually crosses the line, the only correct restart is dropped ball but as an observer I would accept the common sense throw-in restart.

Thanks for that.
I considered the dropped ball. I guess with hindsight that’s the easier sell- but I did just tell them that the lino had flag up and sorry.
I had already caused mass confusion with two other dropped balls earlier in the match lol. (Both correct in law)
Stop worrying too much about the easier sell and just make the right decision. Much better off making the right decision and dealing with the consequences. DB was the only option here, but no biggie. You learn :)

Thank you.

It was once scenario that I actually didn’t know.

I know if I blow by mistake then it’s a dropped ball but I actually gave the throw before being told it wasn’t out- which was my main reason to keep that decision.

I had my first dropped ball on the goal area line yesterday. Interesting to say the least.

Thank you.

It was once scenario that I actually didn’t know.

I know if I blow by mistake then it’s a dropped ball but I actually gave the throw before being told it wasn’t out- which was my main reason to keep that decision.

I had my first dropped ball on the goal area line yesterday. Interesting to say the least.
Don't forget that you can reverse your decision before play restarts. So, in this instance, you stopped play, then realised that play shouldn't have been stopped. Thus, play was stopped for a reason not specified in the laws - that is to say, restart with a drop ball. No stress, nothing game changing.
I remember reffing by myself, blew the whistle for offside, then realised the sweeper is 40 yards upfield chatting to the keeper. Oh well, drop ball :)

Hi guys. So here’s one I’ve not seen before. I’d appreciate some advise on a restart please.

Ball is on the wing and CAR puts flag up.
I blow to stop play and all players are adamant it didn’t go out.
I look to CAR and she says ‘oh sorry, I was just messing about with the flag’

Everyone looks at me.
I stuck with the throw and apologised to both teams.

Is there anything else I could have/should have done?
I'm struggling with CARs in general
Similar incident for me a few weeks back when a busy CAR was flashing his flag about whilst the ball ran down the touchline. I mistakenly stopped play, realised the flag wafting wasn't what I thought it was and restarted with a dropped ball. I took a moment to jog over to the coaches to apologise for the error
Turn to a dropped ball for any stoppage not specifically covered by Law. Guide wires across half-way on 4G pitches cause most of my Dropped Balls (when play is affected by the ball hitting the wire)

Back