A&H

Soton - Leicester

Interesting that Fabian Shar lost his appeal for SFP yet his tackle was closely equivalent to that in the OP. But then Shar was sent off for the right reason

The Referee Store
Interesting that Fabian Shar lost his appeal for SFP yet his tackle was closely equivalent to that in the OP. But then Shar was sent off for the right reason
Goes back to the problem the panel can only review for a wrongful send off, not for something that should have been a send off.

They correctly overturned DOGSO. Think most people agree with that
I think this is a problem in football
Referees' are generally dismissive of non-Referees' ability to make good judgements, even if the latter don't use the 'right' terminology

It isn't to do with them using the wrong terminology, but rather they look at it as a player would rather than a match official would. Which is understandable as they have had absolutely no training on the LOTG, and we know that the majority of players and managers are clueless when it comes to knowing the laws.

There have been some ludicrous appeal board decisions over the years, this one isn't up there with them but I still think it should have stood. This only really seems to be a problem in the UK, in many other countries they stand behind the referee's decision is final and it is nigh on impossible to appeal a red card.

It isn't to do with them using the wrong terminology, but rather they look at it as a player would rather than a match official would. Which is understandable as they have had absolutely no training on the LOTG, and we know that the majority of players and managers are clueless when it comes to knowing the laws.

There have been some ludicrous appeal board decisions over the years, this one isn't up there with them but I still think it should have stood. This only really seems to be a problem in the UK, in many other countries they stand behind the referee's decision is final and it is nigh on impossible to appeal a red card.
As a player among non-referees, I've seen two decades of disdain directed towards Referees. There seems to be an equal and opposite lack of respect from Referees towards the rest of the football community, so it's no surprise that the relationship between the two groups is so unhealthy.

WRT to the nonsense managers and Co. come out with. We have to remember that they're playing to the media, are completely biased, focused on deflecting blame (onto the referee) and therefore talk rubbish. Equally, we have lots of ex-Referees in the media who shower themselves in verbal diarrhoea. Take RefWatch for example, who talks the most sense... Gallagher or the ex-footballers, Sue Smith and Stephen Warnock?
'Training in the Laws of the Game' generally amounts to deciphering unintended meaning from a shockingly bad book and attending sessions in which interpretations of the Laws have largely been conceived of to justify promotion and some hogwash deep insight not afforded to non-Referees

My overriding view; there's a reciprocated lack of respect between Referees and the wider Football Community

Last edited:
As a player among non-referees, I've seen two decades of disdain directed towards Referees. There seems to be an equal and opposite lack of respect from Referees towards the rest of the football community, so it's no surprise that the relationship between the two groups is so unhealthy.

WRT to the nonsense managers and Co. come out with. We have to remember that they're playing to the media, are completely biased, focused on deflecting blame (onto the referee) and therefore talk rubbish. Equally, we have lots of ex-Referees in the media who shower themselves in verbal diarrhoea. Take RefWatch for example, who talks the most sense... Gallagher or the ex-footballers, Sue Smith and Stephen Warnock?
'Training in the Laws of the Game' generally amounts to deciphering unintended meaning from a shockingly bad book and attending sessions in which interpretations of the Laws have largely been conceived of to justify promotion and some hogwash deep insight not afforded to non-Referees

My overriding view; there's a reciprocated lack of respect between Referees and the wider Football Community

Fair enough, but without question the non-referees have "started this". The lack of respect from players to referees makes referees in general much more defensive and more than willing to point out the wildly inaccurate statements and blatantly incorrect interpretations of the Laws.

I'm not saying that coaches, players, and those with other inherent biases have to kiss the feet of referees. However, some of the stuff that comes from non-referees is clearly incendiary. When that happens, we see the death threats, online abuse, etc. from non-referees. Referees need to do their part to mend the relationship as well, but I'm afraid we will never see the day where non-referees at least respect decisions even if they don't like them.

Back