A&H

Spurs v Man City

The Referee Store
Peter Walton declared the HB as a penalty kick on the basis that IFAB indicated as such back in June
No accounting for the fact that those Law changes are yet to come into effect
Not necessarily disagreeing with the decision, just the expert justification

Could've easily been a VAR HB against TAA in *other game*

What about the Sterling foul on Son, did it continue inside the box?

Last edited:
Peter Walton declared the HB as a penalty kick on the basis that IFAB indicated as such back in June
No accounting for the fact that those Law changes are yet to come into effect
Not necessarily disagreeing with the decision, just the expert justification
Think it's in line with current UEFA instructions, which were the basis for the United penalty against PSG. I think UEFA's current instructions/interpretation is where the IFAB changes are heading in June.

Could've easily been a VAR HV against TAA in *other game*

What about the Sterling foul on Son, did it continue inside the box?
On that subject, am i right in saying that the Law regarding continuation of holding into the PA, does not extend to foul tackles (which we would award based on first point-of-contact or even maximal contact?

This is getting to be a bit of a joke now, games are being decided on a total lottery. I really don't see what Danny Rose could do differently there, he's dived to block the ball and your arms will always come out. Then as the ball comes towards him his arm is actually coming back towards his body yet he is still penalised. Yet in the other game the ball was travelling much slower, Alexander Arnold does nothing to get his arm out of the way and isn't penalised despite a VAR review.

The people coming up with these interpretations have clearly never kicked a ball in their life. I've said it before, but you don't run around playing football like a penguin with your arms pinned by your side.

On that subject, am i right in saying that the Law regarding continuation of holding into the PA, does not extend to foul tackles (which we would award based on first point-of-contact or even maximal contact?

I stopped watching
but a foul, is from where contact was made, unlike the holding offence which if it continues into the box is a pk

This is getting to be a bit of a joke now, games are being decided on a total lottery. I really don't see what Danny Rose could do differently there, he's dived to block the ball and your arms will always come out. Then as the ball comes towards him his arm is actually coming back towards his body yet he is still penalised. Yet in the other game the ball was travelling much slower, Alexander Arnold does nothing to get his arm out of the way and isn't penalised despite a VAR review.

The people coming up with these interpretations have clearly never kicked a ball in their life. I've said it before, but you don't run around playing football like a penguin with your arms pinned by your side.
Any ideas on the Yellow Card?

Did Harry Kane just leave the fop without permission to go to the dressing room for treatment? :)

Any ideas on the Yellow Card?

They direct that any handling offence awarded for a shot at goal must be cautioned as it has stopped a promising attack. I don't have a problem with the caution once the penalty is awarded, rather I don't think the handling should be classified as any way intentional.

This is what is annoying me with handball. For me, under the current laws, that is not a penalty. He does not deliberately play the ball with his arm and the distance is minimal. And then you have Peter Walton telling people it is correct because UEFA said they would give it. Ok, but are we saying that the UEFA guidance then is not the same as the LOTG? Next season, it will be a penalty... this season...NO.

Next season, it will be a penalty... this season...NO.

Remember, the law was effectively changed to match up with how FIFA and UEFA were telling their refs how to call handling. If you're saying it's a PK next year, then UEFA will say it's a PK now.

But that law doesn’t come into effect until June. Just because it’s being given doesn’t mean it’s right. Also, I think Fernandinho is lucky to be in the pitch. Peter Walton saying that elbow to the head is part of the game, for me, he already has come down and then decided to jam his elbow in Kane’s head . Red VC for me.

This is what is annoying me with handball. For me, under the current laws, that is not a penalty. He does not deliberately play the ball with his arm and the distance is minimal. And then you have Peter Walton telling people it is correct because UEFA said they would give it. Ok, but are we saying that the UEFA guidance then is not the same as the LOTG? Next season, it will be a penalty... this season...NO.

What you are missing is that FIFA and UEFA have been expansively reading what "deliberate" means in these kinds of situations. The concept has been, more or less, the player deliberately had the arm in a place where getting hit was reasonably likely, and that is enough to meet the deliberate concept in Law 12. (Keep in mind that "deliberate" has always been a term of art, not a dictionary term, just like "intentional" was before the introduction of C/R/EF and deliberate handling.) Whether you buy that interpretation or not, that has been the broad interpretation--the Law changes are codifying the concepts (and recognizing that "deliberate" had been twisted a bit too far as a term of art and was better to admit that some non-deliberate handling was considered an offense).

Anyone thinks this should have been sanctioned, or even given a foul?

Screenshot_20190410-100624__01.jpg

On the handball, I am fairly certain what comes in next year, comes in as clarification or guideline and not as a change. If so then they can be applied immediately.

Back