A&H

Spurs v Southampton

Ryanj91

What a complete mess.

Spurs player fouls Southampton player on half way line. Results in head injury from the tackle and Sanchez landing on his head/neck.

Ref doesn't give foul nor stops play for a clear head injury.

Spurs go on and score.

2 issues.

1) brings up the inconsistency of how long before a goal can you bring back for a foul.... Different referees different allowances.
2) clear head injury on half way line. Safest and easiest thing is to stop play before the attack starts then there is no issue.

Very poor officiating

The Referee Store
It's a clear foul that's started the APP. Every other league with VAR gets involved to knock that goal off.
Well justice served. Offside and Spurs lost.

Still isn't an excuse for what happened, or the lack of anything happening.

Well justice served. Offside and Spurs lost.

Still isn't an excuse for what happened, or the lack of anything happening.

Makes me feel bad for guys like Attwell, Oliver, and Taylor. It feels like a different game when it comes to VAR in England compared to UEFA/FIFA.

As a Southampton fan, extremely frustrating. A clear foul as well as being a head injury. I can not understand why VAR didn’t intervene.

What a complete mess.

Spurs player fouls Southampton player on half way line. Results in head injury from the tackle and Sanchez landing on his head/neck.

Ref doesn't give foul nor stops play for a clear head injury.

Spurs go on and score.

2 issues.

1) brings up the inconsistency of how long before a goal can you bring back for a foul.... Different referees different allowances.
2) clear head injury on half way line. Safest and easiest thing is to stop play before the attack starts then there is no issue.

Very poor officiating
I thought the same.

Not 100% sure it's a foul, as whilst there's contact with the arm in the back of the head, I wouldn't necessarily say it's a leading elbow as (off the top of my head) the Spurs player had it tucked in close to his body and wins the header.

Nevertheless, it's still an arm to the back of the head/neck at height, followed by a nasty fall *and* the Spurs player landing on Broja afterwards, who then holds his head. Foul or not, surely safe refereeing and concern for player safety suggests the game should have been stopped there and then?

I'd argue had play stopped at that moment for player treatment, no one bats an eyelid, but the fact Spurs then went on and scored makes that incident extremely messy!

I thought the same.

Not 100% sure it's a foul, as whilst there's contact with the arm in the back of the head, I wouldn't necessarily say it's a leading elbow as (off the top of my head) the Spurs player had it tucked in close to his body and wins the header.

Nevertheless, it's still an arm to the back of the head/neck at height, followed by a nasty fall *and* the Spurs player landing on Broja afterwards, who then holds his head. Foul or not, surely safe refereeing and concern for player safety suggests the game should have been stopped there and then?

I'd argue had play stopped at that moment for player treatment, no one bats an eyelid, but the fact Spurs then went on and scored makes that incident extremely messy!
I agree no foul for me, Broja backed in, but the referee is looking directly at a player receiving a neck/head injury, watching it live, you winced & thought that is going to hurt, player holding his head, ball on the halfway line. Not sure what David Coote was thinking, such a simple decision, just stop the game, just brought on a set of problems, he could have avoided.

Initially thought how was that not a foul but on second look Broja has backed in to him. Advantage played, goal.

Good reffing.

One player is moving back the other moving forward. They took the same number of steps from when they came into the frame on camera. Foul for me though not a clear and obvious one. It is careless/reckless leading with a forearm into a airial challenge and making contact to the head.

Screenshot_20220211-191316.jpg

Foul for me though not a clear and obvious one. It is careless/reckless leading with a forearm into a airial challenge and making contact to the head.
Question for you. If you'd consider it potentially reckless, wouldn't that mean it's clearly at least a careless foul?

Regardless of whether it was a foul or not, there's clearly been contact to the head and the player is down, the referee really has a duty of care to stop the game there and then.

Question for you. If you'd consider it potentially reckless, wouldn't that mean it's clearly at least a careless foul?
I don't think it works like that :). It's the point of contact that can makes it reckless. There wasn't a lot of force in it and it was not a swing. That's why I put it somewhere between careless and reckless.

I know the laws have definitions to make it black and white but in reality it is not. It's all subjective. Sometimes one referee's red card is not even a foul by another referee and they can both justify their decision.

Back