A&H

Squaring Up

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Hi All,

I hate asking for money, so sometimes I'm in a really awkward position where the team due to pay you… look like they’re going to leave.

Then comes the whole “Is someone settling me up?” style comments/nudges.

How do people tend to get paid? I think I've had 3 teams now pay me at the start (otherwise “they’d forget”) which is so much more helpful.

Some pay after the whistle when they come over (usually to hand the flag back)

Some pay after they have taken nets and corner flags down…

The rest pay after they’ve got into the changing rooms, done the team talk/debrief, had a relaxing shower, ordered a pint at the social club bar and loaded up the car with all their gear.

I hate to be rude with a “send the boys round” attitude of ‘debt collecting’ but I've literally been stood out side changing rooms for 30 minutes plus before…

Its one of my biggest grumbles, because that’s probably the 30 minutes it’ll take me to drive home etc.

Do people have any techniques/tips? Or is this purely a midlands thing not to get squared at the start?

Can I *ask* at the start of the game to be squared? I imagine id get a bit of a “We’ll see how you get on as a ref first!” sort of jovial attitude.

Also, you don’t know if the game will get called/abandoned, which means you’d only get half payment?

I don’t know… it’s a bit of a minefield.

The Referee Store
info re paying ref should be in league rules. failing that, ask ref sec what the rule is. if you're not getting paid when you should be, tell the league about it on your match report - help 'next week's ref' :)

Personally I'm not concerned about asking for money as they know they have to pay. On occasion I've been paid prior to the match, cue the usual joking of how many penalties will that buy me, or me saying excellent I'll chip off down the pub.

After the game it's normally handed over. Otherwise I'll speak to the manager and ask who I need to see to collect my feel in fairness they have to pay every week so know the deal. If I have another game to get to I will check before kick off who I need to speak to regarding payment and explain I need to leave quickly after full time.

I've only been left waiting outside a changing room for half an hour once and that's mainly because I admittedly had a shocker and a few big decisions going against the home team. After that I was left feeling pretty awkward and vunerable with all of the home team in there moaning about me. So wouldn't ever do it again. I would note down when the game finished and what the home team did regarding not paying me and let the league secretary know. More than likely the team wI'll be fined and you'll have a cheque in the post by the end of the week.

I like to drop in prematch about the fee being paid promptly after the match, while the ref is still in his changing room (as per league rules) and not wanting to have to come looking for payment.

Can't think have ever had an issue outside of some banter such as

How much ref? We could have got a real ref for that amount!

Bad news, only real teams get real refs, you're stuck with me. :D

All the leagues I referee in ...it is compulsory to pay all officials prior to the match !!

This is good and also avoids potential volatile situations ...there is nothing worse than having to ask a manager for money when you have just sent 2 of their players off and awarded a last minute penalty against them in a cup quarter final !!

@Beezer try getting your money off the player manager you sent off for violent conduct, whose team went on to lose 3-0 after then giving away two penalties once he'd been binned.

This is good and also avoids potential volatile situations
Try getting your money off the player manager you sent off for violent conduct, whose team went on to lose 3-0 after then giving away two penalties once he'd been binned.

^^This

Couldnt get money off a player/manager of a really violent team, so I left then contacted the league, to contact them, to tell them to mail me a cheque because I wasnt going to wait around the changing rooms, overhearing how badly I was going to get beaten and the style in which they were going to drag me from my car.

Nice.

A wise old owl at our RA said mention it to the manager in the prematch, then keep hold of the match ball after the final whistle.

Obviously don't hold the ball hostage, but it gives them a good reason to settle up and collect the ball promptly after the match. I thought that was quite a good idea.

Bugger them. They know the rules.

One league I ref in they pay before, another it's "immediately after". If I'm waiting more than 10 mins without good reason then I'll go home and take my payment via cheque from the league.

Before every time, half time at the latest. Get them with teamsheets usually with no fuss

the Sunday league I referee in , the home team give you a team sheet they have to submit to leagues. I hold onto sheet in referee room until paid, very rarely have to more than 10 minutes

Football is a pay - to - play. The payers pay to play and I get paid not to play.

As Paddy McGuinness might say - no payee no playee.

Never not been paid and no arguments esp when asked about who's side I'm on etc as "They've already paid me"

Back