A&H

Staff V Students

Lewis Hart

My sixth form have approached me to do a staff v students charity game as ref. Has anyone else had any dealings with this kind of fixture - and any advice on it?

Thanks.

The Referee Store
My sixth form have approached me to do a staff v students charity game as ref. Has anyone else had any dealings with this kind of fixture - and any advice on it?

Thanks.
Go for it, generally they're good fun! A good chance to give your teachers a dressing down after all the years they've done it to you!

As an aside, referee the occasion. If the players are taking it seriously and tackles are flying in, treat it like a usual game, using cards as necessary. If the players are joking around and it is played as more of a 'testimonial' type match, treat it as such - don't be so heavy handed with sanctions and have some fun!

If the players are u16 then they cannot play against adults.

Also it would need to be sanctioned by your CFA otherwise you are going against regulations.

as CA has said be very switched on for the first 10 minutes. i have seen these game turn into a vendetta filled kicking match if not refereed properly, other ones are a great laugh

as CA has said be very switched on for the first 10 minutes. i have seen these game turn into a vendetta filled kicking match if not refereed properly, other ones are a great laugh

I see what you mean. I hope it's not - should be a laugh (hopefully)

It's the year above, so they're 17/18

Will still need to be properly sanctioned through your CFA otherwise you run the risk of being penalised for officiating in an unsanctioned match. Which could cost you your promotion for the season or a ban from the game altogether.

Nope, as they are unknown quantities, players have no known past / registration and there's no come back for enforcing fines / sanctions.

Lets say, hope it doesnt, but let say worst case a player double foots, you RC and he punches you........ no actons can be takn against him not fines or suspensions. You could try and push for a common assault charge, but it;s your school and you still have a year or more there to live the the rep that "thats the kid that got punched as a ref ......."

Thanks Sir but I dont think I wouldnt be impartial.....

@Padfoot I wouldn't want to risk that. I'll ask if they can sort it out - are CFA's usually open to these kind of fixtures?

These fixtures do go on, but when you register as a referee with your County FA you agree to not officiate unregistered matches. If anything goes wrong you could have a misconduct charge levied against you.

Do not ask anyone else to ensure it is sanctioned. Pick up the phone, ring CFA and give them the details of the match and ask them if it is sanctioned. If they say it isn't, inform the school that you will not be doing it until it is sanctioned and ask that they get it sanctioned with enough time for you to ring up and confirm it. I had a team try telling me on a Friday at 7pm that they got it sanctioned that day after I previously rung up and confirmed it wasn't sanctioned, I didn't do the game as I had no way of confirming it. Not worth the risk.

Lewis, you need to speak to Aaron Bannister at WRCFA. This will be classed as a "challenge" fixture as neither team is affiliated to a County FA. You can change the periods of play, allow rolling substitutions and have a penalty shoot out to decide the result if the score is level at full time.

Having played in a couple of these at school (rugby) you need to be wary of teachers rather than pupils (men vs boys).

Back