A&H

Stamp

ELP

Everyone's Favourite Member
Done a U18s game yesterday and unfortunately ended up binning 2 and cautioning a further 4.

Second half, blue v red, blue are 3-2 up and just have gone down to 10 men after having a player sent off for OFFINABUS. Blue are frustrated. Red slides in hard against blue player, blue retain ball with a good attack and I play advantage. Ball goes out for a throw and I go over to have a word, have an angry red in my face saying blue player he slid in on stamps him. I tell him I didn't see any stamp. He lifts his shirt to reveal some very nasty fresh stud marks on his lower stomach and blood has been drawn. Understandably at this time he's very angry as I've missed what seemed to him a blatant stamp, however I said to him "to be fair lad you flew in at him, he's probably tried to jump over your tackle and caught you, I'm sure there was nothing sinister in it". He's still F'ing and blinding but thankfully not at me, just in general from the pain I think so I just leave him to be treated.

Five minutes later another tackle goes in on him, very fair tackle nothing wrong, I was 30 yards away though as it was on the break, he feels he's been fouled, gets up and two foot lunges somebody above the knee studs up and a brawl erupts. Guy who's been tackled has squared up to the guy and everyone is pushing and shoving a bit.

Anyways, RC to the tackler straight up and he squares up to me, was waiting for him to punch me tbh until his manager screams at his team to get him off the pitch, guy ends up dragged off pitch by three of his teammates.

I was happy with my performance as the ref other than missing the "stamp", but just felt that if I'd given an early yellow after a dodgy tackle in the first few mins I might of retained control of the match. Instead I let them take it too far before using the cards and ultimately this was the demise of the game. :(

Onwards and upwards

The Referee Store
i hope that you thanked the manager :)

wise after the event perhaps, but sticking at 'i didn't see it' with maybe a 'please don't take matters into your own hands' thrown in might have been another option

As far as the stamp goes - You didn't see it. That could have happened accidentally if the player slid in and a genuine stamp will usually be met with instant reaction from other players and anyone else around the pitch. You didn't get that, probably was accidental.

Agreed, you can't penalise what you don't see. Another idea (I haven't used this myself, not sure if it would work) would be to say 'I apologise if he did and I missed it, but I can only penalise what I see and I didn't see the collision"

Agreed, you can't penalise what you don't see. Another idea (I haven't used this myself, not sure if it would work) would be to say 'I apologise if he did and I missed it, but I can only penalise what I see and I didn't see the collision"
I've said that before and the players seem to be understanding. I had one charge towards me when I had missed a "foul" he was getting agitated and so I said "sorry it was my fault I should've been in a better position because someone was blocking my view" he said ok and walked away.

I have also had a word to an opposition captain about a player getting angry. I said "look, number 7 for them is starting to get angry because he thinks that he is getting fouled when he isn't so make sure that if he does lash out not to retaliate, I will deal with him. Make sure that your team gets the message" it worked great.

I would be careful with that bottom strategy - some teams will try and take advantage of anything you say and telling them you are expecting a kick off from an opponent may cause them to irritate the matter to try and get him sent off. Could also look like you are siding with one team (which you're not of course, but players get some strange ideas sometimes).

Better to talk to the player who is losing his head (run next to him, let him know you are watching him and he needs to calm down) and also speak to his captain at a break in play to let him know what you are seeing.

Back