A&H

Stoke v Everton

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Everton's goal initially ruled out for offside by AR, but Craig Pawson, overruled after consultation.

AR clearly thought Lukaku touched the ball into the net, but as CR saw, and replays confirmed, it was actually a Ryan Shawcross og.

However, I thought Lukaku was close enough to Shawcross to "affect" him.

Can't find a link, but does anyone who has seen it have a view?

The Referee Store
Offside!

Without my red and white tinted glasses on though I think the right decision was made. I think Grant is following the ball and therefore Lukaku is not affecting his positioning, therefore not offside.

Have to say a no-win situation for the officials but it looked messy which I would have thought a quick "bleat" down the comms would have prevented.

He would also have affected the keeper as well. I would have said that he gained an advantage by being in the position.

Would Shawcross have committed to the attempt, had the other player not been right behind him ?

He would also have affected the keeper as well. I would have said that he gained an advantage by being in the position.
No, it's definitely not. Gaining an advantage in relation to offside is clearly defined in Law 11 and relates to playing a ball following a rebound/deflection.

Would Shawcross have committed to the attempt, had the other player not been right behind him ?
Again, that's not relevant. Shawcross is responsible for his decision making, Lukaku would only commit an offence here if he:
  1. physically challenges an opponent (which he doesn't) or
  2. impacts on his ability to play the ball by
a) being in his line of vision to the ball (he's behind him so not relevant)
b) makes an attempt to play the ball close to him and effects Shawcross' ability to play the ball (again, nope)
c) makes an obvious movement that impacts Shawcross being able to play the ball (again, this didn't happen here as Lukaku is behind Shawcross).

No, it's definitely not. Gaining an advantage in relation to offside is clearly defined in Law 11 and relates to playing a ball following a rebound/deflection.

Again, that's not relevant. Shawcross is responsible for his decision making, Lukaku would only commit an offence here if he:
  1. physically challenges an opponent (which he doesn't) or
  2. impacts on his ability to play the ball by
a) being in his line of vision to the ball (he's behind him so not relevant)
b) makes an attempt to play the ball close to him and effects Shawcross' ability to play the ball (again, nope)
c) makes an obvious movement that impacts Shawcross being able to play the ball (again, this didn't happen here as Lukaku is behind Shawcross).

Very well explained ASM - thanks.

Back