A&H

S'ton v Newcastle - not offside?

Martiju

Hi all

Southampton's second goal on Saturday reminded me of a question about offside I've never really had the answer to. See here: http://videa.hu/videok/sport/sou-new-2-0-CGYhlMW1pAwFLdeH?start=9.077

Once the two attackers are ahead of the last defender, Tadic plays the ball forward to Pelle, who has already run past the last defender. Was the goal allowed in this case because the Pelle was behind the Tadic, even though the ball went forward?

Cheers...

The Referee Store
it was allowed because Pelle was behind the ball when it was passed by Tadic. You are not offside if the ball is closer to the goal line than you are when your team-mate plays the ball

if he had been offside then it would have been allowed because Newcastle were the opposition ;)

it was allowed because Pelle was behind the ball when it was passed by Tadic. You are not offside if the ball is closer to the goal line than you are when your team-mate plays the ball

if he had been offside then it would have been allowed because Newcastle were the opposition ;)

Cheers Haywain - that's useful confirmation ('behind the Pelle/Tadic' shows where I reworded this from 'behind the ball'!). I dread this situation as an assistant because there's so much to take account of all at once - but fortunately the only one I've had the receiving attacker was clearly ahead of both the ball and the passer. Still caused uproar though, of course!

Newcastle really don't need any help in failing miserably at the moment...!

Back