A&H

Stop clock?

The Referee Store
8 minutes waiting for one player. That's crazy
Are there any other sports in which timing is so badly measured/policed?

A goalkeeper is allowed only 6 seconds to get rid of the ball from his hands but could take 30-40 seconds to take a kick from the floor.

Its a surprise there isnt a 6 second throw inn law.

It's almost as if this stat for Cardiff v Burnley surprised the FA!

A lot of clubs are really bad for it.

Huddersfield came to Goodison the other week and were at it from the first five minutes.

Ive always like the 4 points for an away win option in the hope that it might cut it out but if Cardiff are doing it at home to Burnley then i dont think it will.

Teams also do it to kill the tempo of the game, stop clock on its own won’t prevent that.
It may even make the problem worse as referees will be less inclined to intervene if no time is lost.

Norwich were that bad at this last season it spawned a fan song about Playing football the Norwich Way..... Angus Gunn hang your head in shame, I’ve never seen a player take the proverbial so bad than this waster... 70 minutes to go and grass was growing quicker!

Huddersfield did it at the Etihad from the first minute last year. Every goal kick it took a long time for the keeper to walk to get the ball, spot it, kick studs against the post, watch full back run towards the 18 yard box to pretend that they are looking for a short one, wait for them to get back up with the centre halves, stand and wait for a warning from the ref and repeat next time

Huddersfield did it at the Etihad from the first minute last year. Every goal kick it took a long time for the keeper to walk to get the ball, spot it, kick studs against the post, watch full back run towards the 18 yard box to pretend that they are looking for a short one, wait for them to get back up with the centre halves, stand and wait for a warning from the ref and repeat next time
The worry is; if a law comes into effect whereby a game is clocked properly, the Premier League will suffer because it's fundamentally uncompetitive. I can see scorelines of 7 8 9 10 - 0 damaging the reputation of the league and exposing the chasm between top and bottom
Fundamental; sport must be competitive to be interesting and clocking will expose the top leagues for what they are
Maybe from my perspective, worry is the wrong word

Last edited:
This only happened because a central defender took pretty much every throw-in no matter where it was on the pitch. That is always going to delay things, and it was just down to typical Warnock tactics. Compare it to the Hoffenheim vs City game tonight and the ball was probably in play there more like 70 minutes or possibly even more.

Problem with stopping the clock every time the ball is out is no one will have any idea when the game will finish. Using the Cardiff vs Burnley game as an example, a game that finished around 17:50 would have actually finished more like 18:30. That affects TV schedules, fan's journeys home, etc.

Problem with stopping the clock every time the ball is out is no one will have any idea when the game will finish. Using the Cardiff vs Burnley game as an example, a game that finished around 17:50 would have actually finished more like 18:30. That affects TV schedules, fan's journeys home, etc.
This already happens in basketball. Also in AFL (most popular code of footy in Aus). There is no scheduling issues from it.

I agree with the idea of time limits for goal kicks and throw ins but I think any temptation to implement such measures for corners and free kicks should be avoided as they can create a spectacle which makes the game worth playing and watching for many. I also don’t think having a buzzer system is any real benefit to the game either as it would further diverge the professional game and amature game.

Time limits would never work unless it goes with a visible count(futsal style). We already have one (six second) last I saw it penalised was 2003.

I think time limits for throw ins, goal kicks, etc should be introduced, as well as bookings for things like this... you HAVE to watch this; very bad advertisement for the game

Only problem with that is if a player puts the ball into row Z, there's desperation to get the ball to the player. You'll start seeing tactics such as home teams supposedly 'not having a ball available' to quickly get the game going again.

At the end of the day, there's a referee on the pitch with rules backing him up to book players for situations like this. If they enforce it, the players don't do it. Simple enough

Reactions: one
Back