A&H

Junior/Youth "Stop the game ref!"

Matt Bickerton

Hi guys,
In almost all of the 10 games I have reffed so far this season, at some point in the game (usually as a goal kick is being taken) there is a shout of "Stop the game ref!" for someone doing their laces. Am I right in not stopping it?

My reasoning (without finding it in the laws after a quick skim through) is that you wouldn't see Michael Oliver or Martin Atkinson in the Premier League stopping the game because someone is doing their laces.

Am I wrong?
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If the ball is in play then there is no way you can stop play for that.

If the ball is out of play then I'd say you need to look at a number of factors. I'm perfectly happy to hold the restart briefly for a player to sort his laces if it is a good natured game and one team isn't chasing an equaliser, and never get any complaints for this. No chance though if the players are at loggerheads or there is even the chance that it is a time wasting exercise.

Yeah, the main reason I made this thread was because I got a bit of stick from the manager and some parents because a kid had decided to tie his laces while the other team attacked and it almost lead to a goal being scored. I had to politely explain that I couldn't just stop the game like that. I also had some similar situations but none had impacts on the game as such.

Love it when they used to do it on purpose (to time waste) and you wave and shout 'play on', the look on their face when they realise they've got one boot in their hand and they are then frantically trying to put it back on...Then chasing after the ball with laces undone.....Its obvious when its time wasting!!! ;)

If you're going to stop the game then by the letter of the law you'll also need to remove the player from the FOP, he remains off the FOP until the next stoppage when you can check his equipment before he returns ;-)

Stopping play for shoelaces is just absurd. Holding a restart up briefly (assuming it doesn't disadvantage a team)? Well....probably the lesser of 2 evils. Even in adult games it can sometimes help to get players onside. And they do present a tripping hazard...

And it's not just about wasting time. I've seen it happen (at youth) to let a team reorganise, on both corner kicks and throw-ins. If a player asks me I make it clear its not my decision - make the other team aware (although I've also seen it where a player is loudly letting his own team know he's doing his laces only to be ignored by them).

If you're going to stop the game then by the letter of the law you'll also need to remove the player from the FOP, he remains off the FOP until the next stoppage when you can check his equipment before he returns ;-)
LotG says you don't have to wait until a stoppage to allow the player to return, right?
"re-enter with the referee’s permission (which may be given during play)"
With shoelaces or changing ripped shorts, if you glance and can see the equipment has been corrected surely you don't have to wait until a stoppage to let them back...

Don't have to, but you do need to ensure the player is now complying with Law 4. So you wouldn't be unjustified in waiting until the next stoppage in play if you wanted to be cynical about it ;-)

I'm not advocating that, just pointing out what you can do in the context of the absurd request to stop play while it's going.

At chablet age the ball spends a lot of time not in play so i'd be more agreeing to let the juniors tie a lace but at about 12+ its open season!!
Cant beat a bit of Charlie Chaplin running with laces flaying!! :yawn:

I'm never 100% sure about this one.
In adult football I generally think that they're old enough to be able to tie their laces properly before the start of a match and so if it works loose during the game - that's their problem. On the other hand, I also consider "would I momentarily suspend proceedings in order to tie up my own lace? (not that it ever happens)". The answer is of course yes I would. So by the same token, should I not extend that same courtesy to the players?

Youth/kids football is slightly different. The incidence of it can become a bit tedious and irritating during the match so I tend to allow for it first half and then go over to both sets of players at half time and tell them that I'm not "stopping" for any more boot laces. If nothing else, it teaches them a bit of responsibility for their own actions and to check they've done up their laces correctly before running on.

As with most things, education tends to be the best way ....

Stopping play for shoelaces is just absurd. Holding a restart up briefly (assuming it doesn't disadvantage a team)? Well....probably the lesser of 2 evils. Even in adult games it can sometimes help to get players onside. And they do present a tripping hazard...

Quick technical/pedantic note - no longer has to be a break in play to return (or leave), nor does referee have to check equipment (16/17- I think - update) - AR can do so but referee must still give permission for player to initially leave and then re-enter fop.

LotG says you don't have to wait until a stoppage to allow the player to return, right?
"re-enter with the referee’s permission (which may be given during play)"
With shoelaces or changing ripped shorts, if you glance and can see the equipment has been corrected surely you don't have to wait until a stoppage to let them back...

You don't - see post above , tbf, that IS a recent change.

Back