A&H

Strange handball

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Was watching Mike Dean take charge of the Leeds vs Reading game. Dean had a brilliant game in my eyes; every single booking right, identified dives (from help by Mr Cann) and correctly gave a penalty against my beloved Leeds. There was this strange handball though that for some reason no one in the stadium saw... I must admit I thought I saw it but thought I was wrong because no one else did. Just shows you have to be switched on for literally every moment.

The Referee Store
There's no way any AR would be 100% certain to tell the ref to give a PK. Especially if no one was asking for it as the OP said.
Don't see why not. If you can't tell this is handled on the line you shouldn't be on the line. It's not a difficult one.
Might only be doubt if you're behind play or somebody is in the way. We're not talking a sliver of the ball and a rapid horizontal change of direction.
Honestly, kicking the ball on the line is much, much harder - and that's an ARs bread and butter.

Last edited:
view obscured by the Sky TV score banner, however I am of the thought that the ball has not left the FoP
Pk in my opinion for what it is worth

I’m away this weekend so I hope they don’t get any luck at Bramall Lane on Saturday!

Play on for me this! Too close to call with certainty

No one here is expecting a penalty, not even sure there were any appeals. Therefore any assistant coming in with a penalty flag would need to be extremely brave. If they gave this and replays subsequently showed that it hadn't gone out, they would never officiate another game at that or indeed any level.

I can’t remember if it was his side or not, but one of the assistants was Darren Cann from my county, aka 2010 World Cup Final assistant. The officials had a fine game other than this (although a strange case). Wonder what would’ve been said about this by the assesor.

I can’t remember if it was his side or not, but one of the assistants was Darren Cann from my county, aka 2010 World Cup Final assistant. The officials had a fine game other than this (although a strange case). Wonder what would’ve been said about this by the assesor.
They'd of brushed it off as human error..... If football gets this pernickety about such close calls all over the park then I'll stick to another sport!! Move on!!! You won!!! ;)

I’m glad! I didn’t want them to punish them for that😂 Wonder if we’ll get our first penalty for a season and a half on Saturday...
They'd of brushed it off as human error..... If football gets this pernickety about such close calls all over the park then I'll stick to another sport!! Move on!!! You won!!! ;)

No one here is expecting a penalty, not even sure there were any appeals. Therefore any assistant coming in with a penalty flag would need to be extremely brave. If they gave this and replays subsequently showed that it hadn't gone out, they would never officiate another game at that or indeed any level.

I don't agree with this whatsoever. An AR shouldn't ignore a blatant penalty just because nobody appealed for it.

If 22 players thought the ball was out and the AR knew it hadn't, that doesn't mean the AR should keep the flag down. It shouldn't be about bravery - simply competence and integrity.

Your last sentence also highlights the problem with refereeing these days - the non-decision here should be considered just as serious as the potentially wrong decision you're talking about. But it won't be, because the media and fans aren't pushing this and refereeing and refereeing managers are more about being entertainment providers than arbitrators of the laws.

Unless the AR had no chance of spotting this (say, he was still sprinting to the back line, or his view was blocked), this is a serious match-changing error and the AR would have failed his match inspection based on the KPI approach.
Assuming there was nothing hindering the AR, it's an easy decision to have made. Of course, the job of the assessor is to find out why the decision wasn't made.

Reactions: one
Back