A&H

Strange Match

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
Hi all,

Just done a quarter-final playoff between two outmatched teams. First ten minutes, there's a player running toward the byeline when there's a pull that brings him down, penalty, expecting some lip which is fine. Home team pulls away and are clearly better, with two incidents of dissent - one of which I give a verbal warning for, the other is loud enough that everyone can hear for a fairly innocuous decision, and I decide to let it go.

As soon as I'd let it go I knew I shouldn't have, since it was public and directed, but I've already told the home team so when the same player starts giving me more verbals for a free kick at the end of the half, I follow up with a sin bin - I think this actually worked, because second half there was nothing from that team at all. Winning the game probably helped!
The odd thing was late on, with the game clearly gone (4-0), away team put on a big fat lad who's clearly just there for some fun. The very first thing he does is trip a home player near his corner flag in a way so late that he couldn't possibly have been trying to play the ball. I'm actually thinking about booking him as I go over, but in the end it feels like it was so silly that the game didn't want it. Later on on the halfway line he's involved in a sandwich and clearly shoves a home player over, so I once again decide I should have been more proactive and issue the yellow.

Last minute - ball over the top, red controls it and is moving back toward his own goal when the big lad rugby tackles him. Definite yellow in my mind, clearly not considering the safety of the opposition - of course away are very unhappy! One player starts giving me clear dissent, and says 'go on then, sin bin me, send me off', so I oblige. With only one minute left there's then a foul on the halfway line, free kick to away - they wanted the advantage, and the fouled player shouts 'you f***ing idiot', so that's then another red. He garnishes with a few more choice insults on the way off, and the game ends with away clearly very ticked off.

The weird thing is, after the strong decision in the first half to punish dissent early (though not as early as I could have!) the game was much easier to control, and this felt like I'd really made a bit of progress in my own refereeing. Second half, again being firm but fair and trying to keep the players' safety in mind, and there's no end of grief! There's no doubt in my mind that the decisions were technically correct in Law, but is this one of those dark arts that you pick up with time, knowing when to not apply Law?

Oh well, one more down, 4 games to Level 5!

The Referee Store
Experience is a teacher that cannot be bought in refereeing and in life. Wisdom, instinct and foresight are gained by experience and allow us to be a better referee. I am still learning my craft no doubt but looking back I can see how much better I am as a referee now than I was 5 or even 1 year ago. But things still go wrong and I still make errors of judgement and I still fail at time to see the critical event coming in real time that I can see in hindsight when analysing the game. From what you describe here you don’t seem to have done much, if anything wrong. Maybe the player seeking out ‘fun’ or more like revenge could have been dealt with earlier but maybe it is only with the benefit of hindsight you realise he was always approaching the game with bad will. I find that finals often finish like this. Heightened emotions, wrecked aspirations, end of season frustration as the other ‘less deserving’ team clearly wins the day. From my own reflection on difficult finals I have learned how much tougher these games tend to be and how much more game management, control and communication I need to use. Well done on your performance. Don’t be too harsh on yourself and know that you are better for having this game done. Next!

When we shirk a difficult decision or “let one go” because of the tone of the game - we take a risk.

I feel for referees worrying about club marks and making decisions with club marks in mind (other threads) - but it’s our job to use the whistle and cards.

To the OP, well done, it’s such a positive you can self analyze like this. What about the penalty - card?

When we shirk a difficult decision or “let one go” because of the tone of the game - we take a risk.

I feel for referees worrying about club marks and making decisions with club marks in mind (other threads) - but it’s our job to use the whistle and cards.

To the OP, well done, it’s such a positive you can self analyze like this. What about the penalty - card?
I was too square-on to be 100% certain if it was a pull or a careless tackle, so at the time I briefly thought about it and decided just to give the foul - there was certainly no DOGSO case given the direction of travel, and initially both teams were a bit bemused. I later on caught the home team saying it was definitely a penalty, but they would say that. The away player certainly impeded the attacker from continuing their run and brought them down, from behind, so on reflection I think the decision was right.

I think the problem there was I was carrying a little too much fatigue in my legs to get into the best position, and I need to try and get wider earlier to really get those right.

You have to love these games. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I think the public dissent could have been punished more strictly, but it looked like you tried to deal with it with a stepped approach.

Also - it’s towards the end of the season, where players will sometimes do silly things!!

Another game ticked off! Bring on the summer and G&Ts!

Excellent description of the sort of thoughts that go through our minds when making these sort of decisions. It's never as black and white as many (non-referees) like to claim, and the approach that works in one game is not as successful in another. Can't say you did anything wrong here, you're clearly trying to let the game run smoothly for all while at the same time clamping down where it would be unfair to let things go.

Last edited:
Well, another game today, this time on a saturday league at a decent level. The play was certainly better, and notably I wasn't as firm on the dissent - it was lower level, constantly-running comments rather than a big dramatic shout as in the game above. It definitely distracted me at times, and the match control did suffer. I think I'm going to have to try and apply the firm approach - though it doesn't come naturally to me at all! - and keep a firmer hold of the game rather than letting things go. Hopefully that then focuses everyone on playing instead of me!
(I did have a DOGSO-R in the first five minutes, and surprisingly that team weren't the ones whinging!)

Back