A&H

Striking YC/RC?

A pat on the back of the head (in consolation) is a clear red card for violent conduct!

And don't kid yourself, you KNOW a referee that will read things literally and give that. Sadly.

The Referee Store
Not necessarily. As the quote you included states quite clearly, it is not violent conduct if the force used is negligible.

The OP asked in relation to offences that normally attract a DFK when the ball is in play. I will update my original posting to make that clear. I honestly don't think it's possible to strike or push with negligible force. That sentence is an absurdity in the Laws and means nothing.

Lightly rubbing someone on the face to get a reaction would probably not be violent conduct for me, but then again, it's not striking or pushing either and probably not a direct free kick offence if the ball was in play (who knows what the restart is after the current rewrite of the Laws - I haven't got the slightest clue)?

I'd probably send-off for the ear lobe flick, as on a cold morning, that would probably sting more than a light slap to the cheek.

The pat on the back of the head is not striking or pushing, so it's hard to see how this could be considered violent conduct.

And, judging from your views on another thread, where IFAB DO go the extra mile and more tightly define things by issuing a Q&A, you decide to ignore it anyway ;)
Given the contradictions introduced, that document should mean nothing to anyone until the original document it contradicts is either removed from the website, or updated to remove contradictions.

Last edited:
The OP asked in relation to offences that normally attract a DFK when the ball is in play. I will update my original posting to make that clear. I honestly don't think it's possible to strike or push with negligible force. That sentence is an absurdity in the Laws and means nothing.

Lightly rubbing someone on the face to get a reaction would probably not be violent conduct for me, but then again, it's not striking or pushing either and probably not a direct free kick offence if the ball was in play (who knows what the restart is after the current rewrite of the Laws - I haven't got the slightest clue)?

I'd probably send-off for the ear lobe flick, as on a cold morning, that would probably sting more than a light slap to the cheek.

The pat on the back of the head is not striking or pushing, so it's hard to see how this could be considered violent conduct.

Given the contradictions introduced, that document should mean nothing to anyone until the original document it contradicts is either removed from the website, or updated to remove contradictions.
Please let me know when you are next due to referee. I must see this dismissal for an ear lobe flick

how about if the earlobe flick is the last straw as far as the receiver of such is concerned, and he/she retaliates with a punch?
obviously, puncher goes... but would the flicker go too if you thought his/her intentions were to provoke that very response?

(edit) actually, ignore that... thinking about it i guess any action could be deemed provocative

Please let me know when you are next due to referee. I must see this dismissal for an ear lobe flick

We are talking about the same thing, right? Ball, is out of play, and a player walks up behind an opponent and springs an index finger against a thumb and flicks them in the ear?

You're surely having a laugh if you don't think that's violent conduct. If I was playing and someone did that to me and it wasn't punished, I'd probably rearrange their face.

It's no different to pulling someone's hair.

We are talking about the same thing, right? Ball, is out of play, and a player walks up behind an opponent and springs an index finger against a thumb and flicks them in the ear?

You're surely having a laugh if you don't think that's violent conduct. If I was playing and someone did that to me and it wasn't punished, I'd probably rearrange their face.

Yes, yes we are. Please tell me you plan to send someone off for this. I want to see it.

Also when you are next playing, if someone does it to you and you "rearrange their face" please tell me the referee sent off the lobe flicker as well as you, but s/he was sent off purely for the flicking. Also you can let me know how the personal hearing goes for the flicker you send off.

Thanks in anticipation.

Again....define "negligible".......what might seem "negligible" to you, might not feel "negligible" to the recipient and might not result in a "negligible" reaction.......

There is no need for any deliberate contact to the head or face of an opponent, whether the ball is in or out of play........yes, its possible that sometimes in challenging for the ball you might accidentally come into contact with an opponents head or face......but if its a deliberate contact as opposed to accidental then its VC......the key word being "deliberate".

For me personally, my actions will take into account of the context of the situation.....if both players are laughing and joking and one pats the other on the head.....then i'm not getting involved there.....however, take your ear flicking scenario......on the face of it, yes, its a very minor thing, but if it provokes a strong reaction from the opponent, if i'm sending one off, i'm sending both off.......because it was totally unnecessary and clearly designed to provoke a reaction.....
However, if it didn't provoke a reaction, i'm probably more liable to have a quiet word with Mr Flicker strongly suggesting that he keep his hand to himself........

I guess its almost like "Spirit of the game......."

It's very different to pulling somebody's hair. It's USB, not VC. If you respond poorly that's your problem.

As for Padfoot's approach - players will respond for no other reason than to try and force the referee to issue a card.

Back