A&H

Struggle to sleep after games

SM

The avuncular one
Bit of an odd one, but I have noticed that I struggle to sleep after games. Doesn't matter if it is an afternoon or evening game, doesn't matter if there is nothing in the game that I am unduly worried about, doesn't matter if I think I had an awesome game or a stinker. The result is always the same. Will get tired by 10 or so, bed and asleep. Awake at 4 am (pretty much always to within 15 minutes either side), can't get back to sleep.

Usually end up watching Netflix on the iPad until I do nod off, but then it is broken, half awake sleep until morning when I get out of bed.

On days with no game, I sleep like a baby.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Seems to have started with me this season.

The Referee Store
I struggle to sleep before a game, but put that down to nerves and my mind going over all the different things that could happen. After a game I sleep like a baby I'm afraid! Always shattered!

I have struggled to sleep before big appointments and after ****e performances. You should use your new-found awake time to work on fitness. Nothing quite like a morning run ;)

I have always slept well before and after games. I would be wary of saying some games are more important than others. Your next game is always the most important. I prepare well for games so I have no pre match worries, and I am great believer in always officiating to the best of your ability in each and every game. As long as you come off the pitch knowing you have been fair honest to both teams then you need not worry.

It's not worry, I think it is something to do with adrenaline.

For instance yesterday was an u18 regionalised national league (good level). No issues in the game. All happy at the end.

Pregame is no issue - I sleep like a baby. Just not afterwards. Annoying. Tonight I will be fine again.

I would be wary of saying some games are more important than others. Your next game is always the most important.

No it isn't. Tomorrow, I have to referee a secondary school girl's match; on the weekend I have to referee a University women's match; in two weeks, I'll be refereeing in a national championship competition. Clearly some are more important than the others.

Sorry, but I must disagree. Your next game, at whatever level must receive your full attention, and a referee should always prepare in the same way for each and every game. To treat certain games as less important than others can lead to complacency, which in turn leads to the referee not performing as he should. The next game is always the most important one.

And (to be horribly pessimistic) it could be your last. Always aim to make it your best. :)

And (to be horribly pessimistic) it could be your last. Always aim to make it your best. :)

Sad but true, I only started again this season, but was out for over 20 months with a foot injury. My last match was a u13 cup game which ended 13-0. Then out for all that time. So these things can happen.

Sorry, but I must disagree. Your next game, at whatever level must receive your full attention, and a referee should always prepare in the same way for each and every game. To treat certain games as less important than others can lead to complacency, which in turn leads to the referee not performing as he should. The next game is always the most important one.

I didn't say it didn't require your full attention; it just isn't as important as some others you have down the pipe.

Can't sleep after night games no matter how tired I am. With a Long drive after a night game of 2 and half hours get in bed an im wide awake an minds working over time

Back