A&H

Substitutions

... and whistle for corners every time, as they are well drilled in the LOTG...
I'm not sure about you guys across the pond, but here in Canada, it used to be TAUGHT that you should whistle on all corners and goal kicks at the stoppage (and restart). I'm not sure when that changed, but at least 15 years ago.

It tends to be the guys who've been ref'ing 30+ that continue to do that.

The Referee Store
Pull up a chair fellow referees - true story this. :)
After reading this thread yesterday, I resolved to mention the issue of substitution procedure with my assessor today, 15 minutes before kick off. (I didn't want to be caught out as a few on here have alluded to). I simply asked him that today, since I only had CAR's on the line, it was a cup match with a 2pm kick off, was he happy for me to just physically check all players (including subs) kit prior to the match in the usual manner and then be done with it?
I pointed out to him that with each team permitted 3 subs, if I was to hold up play, annotate my notebook, jog over to the touchline, check kit, jog back into position and then restart play each time, then precious time might be eaten into, particularly if the match went to extra time & pens, and that failing light might then be an issue. :)
He raised his eyebrows at first but then just smiled and said, "Yep, no worries, makes sense today. Just so long as everything else during the procedure is as per the LOTG." :cool:
My assessment went quite well. One or two points (obviously) but he reassured me I had nothing to worry about.
So, thanks to a simple and tentative question asked by a young level 9 on this forum and me reading it, I was able to head off a potential down-marking during my final 6-5 assessment today.
So, thank you fellow members, and thank you Ben. You're never too old to learn something. ;)
True story that. :)

Pull up a chair fellow referees - true story this. :)
After reading this thread yesterday, I resolved to mention the issue of substitution procedure with my assessor today, 15 minutes before kick off. (I didn't want to be caught out as a few on here have alluded to). I simply asked him that today, since I only had CAR's on the line, it was a cup match with a 2pm kick off, was he happy for me to just physically check all players (including subs) kit prior to the match in the usual manner and then be done with it?
I pointed out to him that with each team permitted 3 subs, if I was to hold up play, annotate my notebook, jog over to the touchline, check kit, jog back into position and then restart play each time, then precious time might be eaten into, particularly if the match went to extra time & pens, and that failing light might then be an issue. :)
He raised his eyebrows at first but then just smiled and said, "Yep, no worries, makes sense today. Just so long as everything else during the procedure is as per the LOTG." :cool:
My assessment went quite well. One or two points (obviously) but he reassured me I had nothing to worry about.
So, thanks to a simple and tentative question asked by a young level 9 on this forum and me reading it, I was able to head off a potential down-marking during my final 6-5 assessment today.
So, thank you fellow members, and thank you Ben. You're never too old to learn something. ;)
True story that. :)
Thank you, that has helped me understand it better. :)

No worries Ben.
Good luck with your matches. Bring any queries or uncertainties to this forum. You might not like what advice you're given every time but it''ll always give you either new information, confidence in your own judgement or at the very least, a different perspective. :)

:ninja: indeed :). Now there's one argument I'd pay good money to watch :)))

But seriously Charlie ... there's one overall LOTG that is (or at least should be) consistently applied at all levels of football. Where things are to be flexed by level, like colour of Referee Kit or Rolling Subs, this is clearly stated. We all see how the substitutes' kit check works in practice in games where officials have been well drilled in the LOTG .. it's ALWAYS just prior to coming on.

You may well argue that it's unreasonable / unworkable to do this when working on your own rather than in a team of three or four .. and I may well have some sympathy with that POV as I would with sock tape etc. BUT, until or unless things change, you doing what you're doing with substitutions simply undermines refs that follow you with those teams and makes their life harder in properly applying the Laws. Which is of course your prerogative ..

Well, no, it doesn't state it in black and white at all. It is purely your interpretation that 'before' means 'immediately before' and that 'inspect' means 'run to halfway'. I can interpret it the other way just as easily. Inspect doesn't always mean close-up.

Ok, my final word on this, feel like I'm just repeating myself :confused:. The only possible purpose of breaking out substitutes from other players in the sentence on p70 is to ensure they are inspected just before coming on. Otherwise it would just say 'Players and substitutes are to be inspected before the match begins' and leave it at that. And the lead google definition of 'inspect' is "look at (someone or something) closely, typically to assess their condition or to discover any shortcomings:". Can you really imagine writing or saying 'I inspected the player from 30 yards away' with a straight face? :)

i feel I'm with @CapnBloodbeard on this one - and id argue like heck with an assessor ... get the LOTG out now, flick to sub procedure and read aloud from the top please Mr Assessor ...

oh, there isn't anything there that says i MUST meet them at the halfway line and check kit? it only says i have to before they come onto the FOP? and i did this prior to the match? :eek::eek::eek: ill have that point added back thanks chief ;)
OK, I'll play...

Page 25 - Law 5
The Referee:
• enforces the Laws of the Game

Page 22 - Law 4
All of it

Page 19 - Law 3
Substitution procedure
• the substitute only enters the field of play at the halfway line and during a stoppage in the match

Page 59 - The Fourth Official and the Reserve Assistant Referee
He has the authority to check the equipment of substitutes before they enter the field of play. If their equipment does not comply with the Laws of the Game, he informs the referee

So combining all four (the last one is necessary because without a 4th official, you have to complete the duty yourself), you must inspect the player before he enters the field of play to ensure his equipment complies with Law and if you don't you are not enforcing the laws of the game.

As others have mentioned, if you don't do it properly, as expected, then you will lose marks on an assessment.

Yes. So tell me why I can't inspect them from 40 yards away? Where in the LOTG does that say that?
And tell me where in the LOTG it provides a timeframe on inspecting them? I'm familiar with what the LOTG say. Your assumption that it must be done at halfway at the time of the sub is purely one interpretation which is not explicitly stated in law.

Yes. So tell me why I can't inspect them from 40 yards away? Where in the LOTG does that say that?
And tell me where in the LOTG it provides a timeframe on inspecting them? I'm familiar with what the LOTG say. Your assumption that it must be done at halfway at the time of the sub is purely one interpretation which is not explicitly stated in law.
It must be done before the player enters the field. You can't check that his equipment complies with Law 4 from 40 yards.

OK, I'll play...
Page 59 - The Fourth Official and the Reserve Assistant Referee
He has the authority to check the equipment of substitutes before they enter the field of play. If their equipment does not comply with the Laws of the Game, he informs the referee

It's interesting semantics. @Brian Hamilton, quite correctly (of course!), quotes that substitutes equipment must be checked before they enter the FoP. However, from @CapnBloodbeard perspective, it doesn't say "immediately" before they enter the FoP. A quite reasonable assumption might be made that if they have had their equipment checked along with all other players, then you have fulfilled your duties and applied the LotG. The argument that a substitute could change their equipment between it being inspected and entering play does not hold up for me - as there is no obligation to re-check players' equipment after half-time, during which they could all of have changed their studs for sharpened versions, changed their undershorts/shirts to illegal versions and put all their jewellery back on. So if you're not re-checking kit here, why is a check of substitutes equipment before kick-off not valid? Note, if the substitute was not present at the initial kit-check (i.e. late to the game), then yes - I would agree they would need their kit inspecting correctly before entering, but that is only because you would not have completed any kit-check on them at that point.

It's interesting semantics. @Brian Hamilton, quite correctly (of course!), quotes that substitutes equipment must be checked before they enter the FoP. However, from @CapnBloodbeard perspective, it doesn't say "immediately" before they enter the FoP. A quite reasonable assumption might be made that if they have had their equipment checked along with all other players, then you have fulfilled your duties and applied the LotG. The argument that a substitute could change their equipment between it being inspected and entering play does not hold up for me - as there is no obligation to re-check players' equipment after half-time, during which they could all of have changed their studs for sharpened versions, changed their undershorts/shirts to illegal versions and put all their jewellery back on. So if you're not re-checking kit here, why is a check of substitutes equipment before kick-off not valid? Note, if the substitute was not present at the initial kit-check (i.e. late to the game), then yes - I would agree they would need their kit inspecting correctly before entering, but that is only because you would not have completed any kit-check on them at that point.
Ok, can't resist posting again. Glutton for punishment! The key sentence is the one I've already quoted above in the thread:

Page 70 "Players are to be inspected before the match begins and substitutes before they enter the FOP".

It would have been really easy and simple to instead write "Players and substitutes are to be inspected before the match begins" but they didn't choose to do this. For good reason. Because very often subs don't get themselves properly ready until they actually need to come on and sometimes they're not even at the ground prior to kick off! So the only way to properly check substitutes are adhering to Law 4 is immediately prior to them entering the FOP.

Before the match begins is also before they enter the FOP, isn't it?

It's one of those laws that isn't written with the reality of parks level football in mind. Fortunately, the way it's written allows for some argument over interpretation.

Back