A&H

Summer training

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
So... after getting back into it all, my general fitness has improved however, I have some things that I really want to work on and would be interested in some tips from fitness gurus!

1. General stamina is ok - but want to get my acceleration up a bit

2. Calf muscles are quite weak and take time to recover between matches - any exercises to strengthen

3. Going to have to stop eating rubbish too as need to lose some of my slight overhang!

p.s. I am contemplating a PT - but need to buy a new sofa first!

The Referee Store
Our RA runs a training session every Monday night and we often have a couple of EFL officials there. I've started going again and it helps. Also, the restart of the cameraderie is great. I couldn't go tonight as I played a round of golf on a very hilly course today and was knackered!

So... after getting back into it all, my general fitness has improved however, I have some things that I really want to work on and would be interested in some tips from fitness gurus!

1. General stamina is ok - but want to get my acceleration up a bit

2. Calf muscles are quite weak and take time to recover between matches - any exercises to strengthen

3. Going to have to stop eating rubbish too as need to lose some of my slight overhang!

p.s. I am contemplating a PT - but need to buy a new sofa first!
I'm not an expert, but from you write, I'd suggest jump rope and spring/run intervals. I suspect you'd find useful programs if you googled soccer referee fitness or some such.

I mentioned this in a different thread, so I'll repost here. John offers a sample workout schedule in the podcast that you can incorporate into a Do It Yourself type of program.

A good place to start would be the "My Life as a Sports Scientist" podcast in the "My Life on the Line" series to which I linked. John Westbrooks is one of the sports scientists working for PRO (the US version of the PGMOL, of which Howard Webb is general manager). John walks through a sample week of what the PRO referees do. It's not overly in-depth (proprietary information and all of that), but it's a start and would give you a free baseline for designing a program.

(Disclosure - I have no affiliate with the site. I just think what these guys are doing is a good thing) The RefCoach site also has some 6-week workout programs John designed. They are $30 AUS, which was about $24 USD or about 17 GBP under current rates. Not a bad investment at all if you don't know where to start and want to follow a set program. I've also set up a Google spreadsheet that helps compute distances for the 15 second repeat interval and minute per mile pace for the 3 minute on/2 minute off interval program. I can share a copy of that in this thread.

Last edited:
Found the PDF file I also wanted to add here. Fair warning that there are 100 different exercise programs in this document, so it's pretty meaty. But it does give you a number of different ideas for workouts. You can probably design your own program very nicely consulting this.

Attachments

• RefereesExercisesList.pdf
    143.9 KB · Views: 17
Back