A&H

The day of reckoning

Andy A

Hi guys,

My first appointment is this Sunday.

I was quite looking forward to it until I read this thread:

http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/absolute-disaster.8188/unread

Now I'm feeling very nervous if I'm being honest.

I can't fault the Ref appointments officer on the league I've been allocated, he has given me a lot of pointers and will be in touch before Sunday. In fact I can say he has helped me more than my parent FA currently. He gave me this game at last minute notice and as promised other ref's at the venue will help me and that he is trying to get a mentor to attend also. Top man!

Any last minute tips from you guys?

The Referee Store
Your match is between two different teams, it won't be the same........you may have other learning points but there will be positives too, learn from them and try to enjoy, good luck.

It does sound like you've got the perfect situation for you first match to be honest - most on here will tell tales of having to turn up with no idea what to do and be somehow expected to take charge! There are loads of other threads around about how to deal with all the pre-match stuff, while during the match it's important focus on being confident and clear with your decisions.

Take control, own the game & be strong. Don't worry what people think about you or your decisions - and referee the game to the very best of your ability. Without you, the game doesn't take place.....

Don't forget - Enjoy the experience - ok, you have read some experiences about tough first matches (due to very badly behaved teams by the way), but there will be significantly more tales of funny/positive/fun first games!! First season (or so) is all about learning the trade. :)

yup, good luck.
this sunday i have a team that i had in my first ever game, and whereas after that first game i was feeling the dread... i never want to see those guys again etc... i am really looking forward to it now. bit of a yardstick for me i guess ....

It went ok I'm happy to report.

Was a quite difficult game to referee as well, home team were quite theatrical at times, but they were dishing it out themselves.

Home ended up winning 8-3.

2 cautions, 1 each for handbags after a freekick, no punches thrown so yellow apiece. However the home captain after the game informed me that the away player was strangling the home player before I saw the pushing, I explained I can only give what I see and my mentor also said that to to him.

Home team CAR was putting up their flag everytime for offside, so I had to try and get a position where I could see them and overruled on a couple of occasions - mentor said this was great.

I mentioned to the away team after the game that it was my first game and they said they couldn't tell, and that I handled a difficult game very well - which is high praise considering how heavy they had just lost.

So quite pleased, but still some things I need to work on, which will come with experience.

Back