A&H

Theresa May

Richard smith

Theresa May has survived the vote of no confidence in her as Party leader :yawn:

Where Does this leave Britain in a European Union Context?????????

The Referee Store
@Richard smith, I truly feel sorry for TM, she's been left high and dry by Cameron in trying to sort this mess out... I haven't heard a Plan B, so Plan A is the only one on offer!! Others can rant and bleat but negotiating with 28 other countries wasn't going to end well.... That said, No deal seems a worse option so we are in a position where no one is happy and never will be... Corbyn couldn't run a bath, but I can't see a natural leader anywhere in the making on any side!! Joy of joys!!!

You have not heard a Plan B Because there is not one. It is that simple

The plan was and still is after The vote of No Confidence in TM To bulldoze plan A through
CAn I share with you the disappointing thing from all this
The Tory Membership can't Launch another Vote of no Confidence in the Party Leader for a whole year. Just Think of the state Britain will be in at the end of the 12 months with TM in Charge. It does not bear thinking about

All going nicely for a last minute vote in January on a sh1t deal that nobody wants and too late to do anything about it...Hobson's choice for our elected members, deal or no deal!
Should have planned for and expected no deal from day one....I for one think this country is great enough to succeed without a deal with the EU.....TM for at least a year...could be worse JC could be in number 10!

Someone else posted this elsewhere but worth repeating

Rees Mogg - 52/48 - 'Result must be honoured, will of the people etc'

Rees Mogg - May wins vote 200 - 117 (63/37) - 'She must resign etc etc'

Someone else posted this elsewhere but worth repeating

Rees Mogg - 52/48 - 'Result must be honoured, will of the people etc'

Rees Mogg - May wins vote 200 - 117 (63/37) - 'She must resign etc etc'

Two completely different votes and to suggest otherwise is a straw man argument. Not even closely comparable

Two completely different votes and to suggest otherwise is a straw man argument. Not even closely comparable

As one involved the whole of the UK and the other only conservative MPs & were asking a different question, I had already figured that one out.

However I don't follow the justification of ignoring one democratic vote, while repeating that another one must be 'honoured', just because they were 'different'

As one involved the whole of the UK and the other only conservative MPs & were asking a different question, I had already figured that one out.

However I don't follow the justification of ignoring one democratic vote, while repeating that another one must be 'honoured', just because they were 'different'

First of all let's consider the fact that around 160 of the MPs who voted for May are on the payroll (ministers, junior ministers, PPS etc) so this is to be expected - when you take that into account, suddenly it changes the outlook of the result.

Number 10 themselves were briefing that they expected max 80 to vote against her, not 117 as it ended up. Although May won, it has seriously undermined her authority more than anyone expected. She is a PM with no authority at home or abroad - she can't even get her own legislation through the house after days of devastating defeats on Brexit, then pulling the 'meaningful vote'. Though she won the vote, it has had dire ramifications on her leadership. Completely different to the referendum which was a binary choice

Jeremy Corbyn says he understands that MPs in strong Remain or Leave constituencies have difficulties over the EEA amendment. Jeremy Corbyn has suffered a 90-strong rebellion over a Brexit vote on remaining in the European Economic Area, with six of his MPs resigning from their frontbench roles!

Last edited:
First of all let's consider the fact that around 160 of the MPs who voted for May are on the payroll (ministers, junior ministers, PPS etc) so this is to be expected - when you take that into account, suddenly it changes the outlook of the result.

Number 10 themselves were briefing that they expected max 80 to vote against her, not 117 as it ended up. Although May won, it has seriously undermined her authority more than anyone expected. She is a PM with no authority at home or abroad - she can't even get her own legislation through the house after days of devastating defeats on Brexit, then pulling the 'meaningful vote'. Though she won the vote, it has had dire ramifications on her leadership. Completely different to the referendum which was a binary choice

Can't agree with much of that, but maybe not the forum to discuss further - back to the coin toss thread - that's more fun!

Let’s just take a moment to consider democracy, particularly as one of the main arguments for leave back in 2016 was to “take back control.”

Had TM lost last night, the Tory MPs would have whittled the candidates down to two, which would have then been put to members of the Conservative party, to decide who our Prime Minister would be.

So our PM, and the nations future, would have been decided by a (relative) handful of unelected individuals, from a fairly narrow socio-economic background, who had all paid to be part of the club.

And that is Democracy?

Reactions: Kes
And shes being held to ransome by a minority single issue party who are a minority part of a suspended parliament that hasn’t met in over a year! All this to take back our control!

Last edited:
Back