A&H

This is a new one

I totally agree with booking the striker, I'd go with @Padfoot disrespecting the game thing.

But in that case what is the proper restart. As the ball came into play and the striker chipped it wide should it be an IDFK from where he kicked it. I only ask as had the ball gone in you arent giving the goal, so couldnt really restart with a goal kick. Not that this will ever happen during a game of mine, I'm just curious!

The Referee Store
@Kes you are right about only one thing that we are going around in circles. The way you have written your last post is as if you were actually stood on the side line watching the game. The ball left the penalty area so was therefore "in play" and never in the memory of man was the striker checking the ball he was attempting to deceive the goalkeeper and as I said earlier one of the clearest forms of USB behaviour I have ever seen. To quote a player on the opposing team, "I have been playing Sunday football for 20 years and I have never seen anyone try and cheat like that".

In which case my friend, you mislead me by incorrectly describing what happened. ;) You claim the GK "rolled" the ball out to the player which suggests he used his hands in which case the ball couldn't have been in play because it was a goal kick. (SM thought this as well ;) ). It was on that basis that I protest that the player can't have been trying to hoodwink the GK since he would have known the ball wasn't in play.
Maybe if you'd said the GK kicked it ...... :rolleyes:

@Kes Can you not roll the ball with your foot? no?

Let me tell you what I take exception to here and I will quote your post that you have very cleverly edited:-

No mate, you're wrong. The ball wasn't in play at all. A goal kick had been awarded and the goalie rolled the ball out to the forward with his hands. He therefore hadn't taken the goal kick and so it wasn't in play. (This was your first response before the edit)

Now then out of the 100's or maybe 1000's of members on here I firmly believe that I was in fact the only one at the match, I shared what I thought was an interesting point with fellow members. So who are you or anybody else for that matter to write a statement like that? That kind of statement is everything that is wrong with this site and what will scare people from posting. Disagree with caution by all means but don't try and tell me what happened.

Erm, care to play nice gents? Or does this one need closing?

@Kes Can you not roll the ball with your foot? no?

Let me tell you what I take exception to here and I will quote your post that you have very cleverly edited:-

No mate, you're wrong. The ball wasn't in play at all. A goal kick had been awarded and the goalie rolled the ball out to the forward with his hands. He therefore hadn't taken the goal kick and so it wasn't in play. (This was your first response before the edit)

Now then out of the 100's or maybe 1000's of members on here I firmly believe that I was in fact the only one at the match, I shared what I thought was an interesting point with fellow members. So who are you or anybody else for that matter to write a statement like that? That kind of statement is everything that is wrong with this site and what will scare people from posting. Disagree with caution by all means but don't try and tell me what happened.

Fact is, my first response above was typed and posted hastily after which I then realised you were the OP!! :oops: That's why it was "edited". Nothing "clever" about it all.
Okay,I concede,I got the wrong end of the stick - but that was purely down to your misuse of the word "rolls". I wasn't the only one. ;)
So well done on the yellow card. :cool:

I totally agree with booking the striker, I'd go with @Padfoot disrespecting the game thing.

But in that case what is the proper restart. As the ball came into play and the striker chipped it wide should it be an IDFK from where he kicked it. I only ask as had the ball gone in you arent giving the goal, so couldnt really restart with a goal kick. Not that this will ever happen during a game of mine, I'm just curious!
You're right, the correct restart would be an indirect free kick: according to Law 12

"An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of

the referee, a player
commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which
play is stopped to caution or send off a player"

This thread shows how easy it is to get hung up on what you think a post says, and once you do how hard it is to change your view. Note to self: I must be careful to make sure anything I post in future is not ambiguous! (No offense meant to the OP - if anyone is going to cause confusion it's me, because I tend to write essays!)

I think we all (most?!) agree that once we understood what the original post was actually saying the decision to stop play and caution was the right one. The OP did well to realise what the miscreant was actually up to quickly before it caused too many issues to threaten his match control. Well done for that.

Can anyone remember what Ronaldinho done a few seasons back? The keeper had the ball in his grasp, alone in the box. Ronaldinho was "hiding" near the goalline at the edge of the penalty area, outside of the keepers arc of vision... Keeper drops the ball, dribbles and then attempts to kick the ball. Ronaldinho pinches the ball just before the keeper kicks it, goal scored and stood.

Is this not the same kind of thing?

In this game, surely the keeper knows how the ball feels, after all he's just recieved it to put it down. He also probably has the same ability of judging whether the ball is flat or not as the striker, so why he would even contemplate giving him the ball is beyond me. I personally haven't got the audacity to try something like that. I can see where people say it comes under unsporting behaviour, but there's a fine line between awarding the goal kick/goal depending on where the ball went and a caution, or indirect free kick with caution. It's certainly a tricky one. The keeper should have been a bit wiser.

Contraversial, I know :ninja:

Back