A&H

Thoughts on this - TA advising.

wazztie16

Level 4 Referee
Level 4 Referee
Thoughts please.

A couple of times in the past couple of seasons I've had to deal with technical areas regarding being OTT moany, is I suppose the right way to put it.

Nothing major, just disagreement with decisions that I felt were over the top and I've felt a stern talking to would suffice.

Both times the managers/team officials have claimed it's fans nearby (think park pitches, where the teams mates come to watch), rather than the managers/team officials themselves.

Now, on parks pitches, I 'advise' the managers to keep fans away from the dugouts where possible.

I don't enforce it, as it's not my place, but I tell them that if I hear abuse coming from that direction, and I can't deal with it by a talking to, even if it's not come from a team official, but I believe it has, then the most senior person in the TA will receive the sanction.

Yay or nay? Is it something YOU would do?

The Referee Store
i learnt something from my coach this year.

I tell the managers at the start to keep team officials and subs one side and fans the other. That gives me a way to deal with any dissent from a fan on the technical side because I just stop the game and say ‘I told you at the start team officials only, if you are not one leave’…

They can’t then blame it on fans nearby because they simply shouldn’t be there.

Very hard to police in a park though.. I think I would need to hear it out of the horses mouth to be producing a card though..

Happens a lot here with serious grassroots matches with tens if spectators. It’s a nightmare when they are mixed in with the benches. Some grassroots grounds have a clear area/s for fans but if not, and there might be a problem we: stop them standing between the benches, get them a few yards clearly separated from the benches and stop them standing behind the goal, where they might be tempted to do something stupid.

This is all very specific to local culture. We have few fans up to the third tier - and many grounds have just one stand opposite the benches.

Back