A&H

Thought's? Silly Boy

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Had an incident last week. Two players jumping for header. No foul but touching each other.

Blue 16 shouts "how is that not a foul when you gave theirs earlier? Useless"

As he said this the ball went over touchline for throw in.

I blow whistle to pause restart and have a word, no caution, just a warning. As I blew up and shouted "blue 16 please" he continues walking and shouts "nah I ain't ****ing stopping or talking to you"

He wouldn't have gone in the book. I couldn't help but smile as I walked over and called him with notebook out my pocket like a flash

I said to him I only blew to warn him but he's got himself booked by the comment. His team mates absolutely bollocked him. (I love it when this happens! Does what I'd love to do if I didn't have to be professional!)

Stupid player!

He VERY nearly got a second dissent caution too... In the 95th minute!!! Luckily his teammates shut him up

The Referee Store
sorry but if a player calls me USELESS he's walking! The bollocking from his team mates shows clearly you missed a sending off.

and you let the same player get away again from a dissent caution?

when i caution a player for dissent, i normally call over the captain and inform them both in strong words

"this is the last time i want to hear this player make any comment about any decison I make or do not make on this pitch; either directed at me or not"

The few times I have had to send a player off for 2 dissents, there was not a peep either from his team mates/manager!

"Clear sending off" is patently ridiculous. It isn't clear OFFINABUS to me and it is a subjective thing. Wouldn't walk him for that. A dressing down is enough hence I blew up. And the team mates bollocked him for the caution, not the first comment

And no I didn't let him "get away" with second dissent as his team mates stopped him before he managed to utter a word at me. He stropped and turned to walk at me and before he could move his pals stopped him. So how I could book him in your eyes for that is beyond me!

Just being called useless sounds more like dissent than OFFINABUS to me. Each to their own though.

SM - Each to their own though!

that's the problem with football. You dont get this in rugby (sorry if you've heard it before). A lot things are wrongly classified as dissent rather than OFFINABUS, then players go scot free for real dissent rather than the mandatory caution.

No wonder referee's get abused, harrased and assaulted daily.

I agree with sm. Its dissent to me and would be a talking to and dressing down if first offence unless its done in a particularly aggresive fashion

If he had said "you know what ref, you are absolutely ****ing useless" in my face and aggressively then I'd say that is OFFINABUS but saying "useless" on its own, out of frustration is dissent.

To suggest it is our fault for not sending off for terms such as useless that referees get assaulted and abused is also patently ridiculous and quite frankly a disgusting thing to say about your colleagues ... I would also suggest that if you sent someone off for saying the word "useless" it will be you who becomes one of these refs you so arrogantly talk about

Last edited:
Useless can no way warrant an OFFINABUS or you would have very few players left by half time. As said above if its said in an aggressive manner with swearing that is different but on its own.....no way! A thing I do when it comes to dissent is if they say something that is 50/50 a caution, the first thing i will say is very loudly 'I WOULD SERIOUSLY WATCH WHAT YOUR SAYING WHITE 7' and if they say anything else caution. Normally the captain and coaches start telling them to shut up and get on with it before I have to show a card. Works for me!

when was the last time you heard a rugby referee having to go through what football referee's endure? Or maybe rugby players don't get fustrated or maybe they are more disciplined or less violent?

In rugby the rules are applied uniformly without leaving each referee to "his own" or making excuses for players (etc fustration).

As i can see you all don't like my logic but we as referees need to take a good look at ourselves on how we apply the rules. If we continue to classify and reclassfiy the definition what dissent/OFFINBUS constitutes, our present situation would not change.

I always admire refs who stamp on dissent/OFFINBUS and if we had more similar refs, our game will be so much better unlike you lot.

I think its time you left it fella.

You are the odd one out with classing it as dissent or OFFINABUS if you look.

The games of rugby and football are also totally different and rugby has a lot more technical offendes that are black and white.

Its like saying tennis umpires don't referee the same as curling umpires. Totally different and I detest the constant comparison to rugby. The sports, money side and business side are totally different and the way people get involved is different and you don't get as high participation where we get whole estates form a team of anyone who fancies a kick around.

I suggest you stop universally blaming referees when you seem to be the odd one out here pal.

I always admire refs who stamp on dissent/OFFINBUS and if we had more similar refs, our game will be so much better unlike you lot.

As referees we need to stick together and comments like above are a shining example of the opposite of that. How can players respect you as a ref if you don't have respect for others, not even your colleagues?

if you ref a Sunday morning game, sending off any player who calls you useless then you'll never finish a game. Of course there is an element of 'each to their own' in football, one mans careless is another mans reckless.

@opayin - I think what was disliked was that you were appearing to blame referees for any abuse or violence that they have to endure. :rolleyes:

It think you will find that a good few us agree that a rugby styled approach would help if it could be applied to football. However, one or two refs going bronson with the cards creates more problems than it solves.

Can I ask at this juncture, that this thread is kept civil. Different opinions and views are fine. Debate is encouraged. Outright arguing Or being abusive is not acceptable. Let's not behave like footballers :D

By 'opayin' logic....at every decision I would be cautioning players/ ordering them off. Players will make comments, its being able to control/take some with a pinch that makes a good referee. No one would respect or like a referee who was cautioning/sending off numerous players every game. When I done my course 4 years ago the first thing the tutor said was 'if you don't like getting abuse then this is not for you'

that's the problem with football. You dont get this in rugby.

From Wikipedia Rugby Union page: Assaults on rugby referees are being reported more and more in the media. One study found that around six percent of United Kingdom referees surveyed had been physically assaulted. A further examination of the study found that rugby union referees fear of being assaulted was a significant factor for increased stress. The same study found that rugby referees were most concerned about being assaulted by a spectator or coach. A study by Rainey and Hardy found that it was in fact players who committed assaults on referees the most, contributing to seventy nine percent of all assaults on referees.

When I done my course 4 years ago the first thing the tutor said was 'if you don't like getting abuse then this is not for you'

What a think to say to new referees.
Who likes getting abuse? I don't.
But I have the tools to deal with such abuse.

Going back to the initial scrap: "Useless" on it's own is not OFFINABUS but is almost the very definition of dissent. (And I am by no means shy with the cards)

I can still see where @opayin is coming from about the Respect issue

Rugby Refs get almost total Respect at International and club level this in turn filters through to youth and grass roots .

Until the Fa tackle the Respect issues at the top level us refs will have to continue to be called "useless " and so on every Sunday for ever more .

It may well be Herts .....One of my fellows Refs used to be a Rugby Ref and when he switched he was astounded by the level of dissent and abuse towards officials !

Needless to say his seasons card count is enormous as he takes nothing from players at all :eek:

Back