A&H

Junior/Youth Thoughts

Nimbleblade

Match yesterday Orange v Blue

A good competitive match where both CAR's had been pretty good, a couple of very quick offside flags from both which left me thinking ' Were they really offside?' then this incident...

33rd minute a direct free kick is awarded to Orange about 30 yards out in line with the corner of the 18 yard box, I take up a position on the last Blue player looking for off side, the Blue CAR is almost in line, so we're both looking at the line.
I'm watching the line when Orange player takes the free kick, an orange player peels off the back on the far side of the box ( the ball has been kicked and in play before he moves ), the ball bounces and the player scores with a header.....

Blue assistant raises his flag to indicate offside whilst I've awarded a goal..

What would you do?

The Referee Store
Agree with Mick above - get ready for a queue of people asking you what is the point of having an CAR if you're not going to use him

Happened to me very early in a game once.

Eventually ended up with said AR going off in a strop after I had the temirty to overrule him later in the match and his team refusing to supply an AR for 2nd match (Double header).

I was convinced goal was fine, manager was most upset because "we practice that all week".

I thought, but didn't say obviously, bet that practice involves the CAR as well!!!!!!!;)

I occasionally get a team that can't/won't provide a CAR. "That's fine, but please appreciate I may not be able to judge when the ball has gone out of play, and please don't contest any offside decisions I may or may not give." I may then "accidentally" make some mistakes on ball in/ball out, direction of throw... (safe ones, that is).

team fails to provide linesman, then I ask other team if they will provide both. this has happened a couple of times, on one occasion with team who couldn't find one suddenly produced one when they realised what I had done.
League rules will always say they must produce one and will be fined if you report matter to them.

Pre match tell the CAR, "more than likely you'll be right, but if from where i am I see it differently I'll just give a big wave to put the flag down. Don't take it personally, and I doubt it'll even happen. So what do you think the score will be today?"

Goal was awarded and CAR stood shouting ' No No ' started to walk towards him to explain and he started going on about how he was 'offside by a mile' I was now between the penalty spot and the edge of the 18 yard box on his side and just said ' Goal awarded , player was onside when kick taken' I should have gone all the way over but he was ranting and I wasn't in the mood to get into a long discussion..
Match kicks off and Orange score pretty much straight from the kick off after an interception and apparently that was my fault as well
:))
I tried to speak to him at half time but he walked off, at the end he slapped the flag in my hand and stropped off.

At the end of the match the manager asked me about the decision and I fully explained it, he was fine and accepted it, joys of a top of the table clash

Back