A&H

Throw In

If you give a foul throw you also then have to start thinking about at which point a player transitions from standing to crouching. Is stooping allowed?

Do we really need to pick that argument? Is the player gaining any real advantage? Are we being overly officious if we’re analysing the definition of words during a game?

Play on.

The Referee Store
The only thing is if he releases it whilst he does his little jump, but I think I'd be so amazed by his technique I wouldn't clock any infringement

The only thing is if he releases it whilst he does his little jump, but I think I'd be so amazed by his technique I wouldn't clock any infringement
I don’t think his feet leave the ground. Pretty sure just rocks on them.

As for standing, my recollection was that it was added to put into law what had been an understanding that it wasn’t ok to kneel.

I don’t recall ever seeing a player crouch, and I would not cons it improper if I did.

I don’t think his feet leave the ground. Pretty sure just rocks on them.

If you step through the individual video frames in the Twitter clip (below), he seems to do more than rock. His feet move forward quite a bit around the time the ball is released (frames 4,5 & 6 below), but he points his toes down, and so they remain very close to (possibly even touching) the ground.
Intuitively it seems likely that for studded boots to move across grass like that they must leave the ground at some point, but I'm not certain even from the video frames that there is a gap between either foot & the grass (and with a single look in real-time I'd be even less confident, although the angle might be better of course).
Players often drag the toe of the rearmost foot over the ground without putting much if any weight on it when throwing conventionally and that doesn't seem to get penalised. On Twitter, in response to suggestions of foul throw, the player himself said that his feet 'slide on the floor'*, and, (while suspecting that at some point one or both feet probably do leave the ground very briefly), I think I'd be hard-pressed to argue for a foul throw (on the evidence of this clip at least).

screen_1651620545.09.pngscreen_1651620545.18.pngscreen_1651620545.28.pngscreen_1651620545.38.pngscreen_1651620545.46.pngscreen_1651620545.56.png

*Edit:
I tried to put the Twitter link in but the player's name seems to have fallen foul of RefChat's 4-letter-word filter. You'll have to click on the link below and then replace the * with a suitable vowel!

Last edited:
Back